Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Aldi Product Review : Fresh Pineapple / How to Cut a Fresh Pineapple

This pineapple was bought at Aldi's... I believe it was $1.98 but the price fluctuates on this item.  We love fresh pineapple at our house.  The canned is OK and we certainly do eat it, but if I can buy fresh, it is far superior in taste to the canned.  

If you have never cut up a pineapple, it's very easy.  From the time I thought about cutting this one up, to the time I put the knives and cutting board away, it probably took me about 15 minutes.  The first time may take a little longer...

First, cut off the bottom and the top.  I've never been successful at getting a pineapple tree to grow from the top but I've heard this can be done. Let your kids give it a try.


Since you cut off the bottom,  you now have a flat bottom on the pineapple to set it on the cutting board and make it safer for you when slicing. Start cutting around the pineapple from top to bottom, rotating the sides as you cut.


I discard the prickly sides, but you can certainly compost them or even gnaw at the pineapple left in them.  You can't get all the pineapple out with a knife, but your teeth can enjoy a little "snack" while you work.  :)


Once the sides are removed, start slicing vertically all the way around the pineapple until you are left with the hard center core.

I slice up the center core, too, (be careful, it is harder than the rest was) and freeze it for smoothies another time.

I then slice up the long, vertical pieces into smaller bite-size ones.  You are left with a beautiful, large bowl of fresh and really delicious pineapple.  We eat it plain, mixed with other fruit, stir-fried with chicken or beef, on salads... lots of ways to use it.   Enjoy!


1 comment:

Linda said...

Love fresh pineapple...hardly ever buy canned anymore.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...