Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Saving Money: Buying Dishwashing Liquid in Bulk / AppBox Pro App

I posted earlier in the year when I purchased one gallon of dishwashing liquid from Sam's Club--ProForce Pink Lotion Dish Detergent.  I opened it on July 25, 2010.  Here is the update --I finished it on September 21, 2011.  It lasted more than one year!  Even I was surprised that it had lasted quite this long.  That $4.18 purchase was certainly worth the money.  It is $10.18 if you have it shipped.


I  fill a Bath & Body Works pump bottle that I keep by the kitchen sink.   I have a dishwasher which I use every day or two but I also wash a fair amount of items by hand as well.   If you do not have a dishwasher, of course, it would last less time.

Just to compare the two most popular dishwashing liquids and their cost (from Coupon Mom)...

1 gallon = 128 fluid ounces

Dawn Plus, 19 oz.                   $2.08                 = 7 bottles = $14.56
Dawn, 38 oz.                                 3.74                 = 4 bottles =   11.22
Dawn, 19-24 oz.                           2.24                =  7 bottles =   15.68
Palmolive Ultra, 25 oz.            2.39                  = 5 bottles =    11.95
Palmolive, 10 oz.                          .89                  = 13 bottles =  11.57
Palmolive 20-25 oz.                  2.25                  = 7 bottles =    15.75


Definitely a great buy.

I don't calculate / compare everything I purchase like this...I mainly eyeball the ounces and cost.  For items that are regular frequent purchases, comparing the price closely can save you a bundle, especially if you have a large family.   Price books are recommended by many savers but I honestly have never done that.  However, I do have an app called APPBOX PRO that has about 40 apps within it.  It's referred to as the Swiss Army Knife for your digital life.  :)  One of these apps is PRICE GRAB which lets you do an apples to apples   comparison between products and I do use this app at Sam's Club periodically to compare to grocery store prices.   I  highly recommend this app.


UPDATE 9.5.12: Just checked the bottle of dish liquid that I purchased on 9.21.11.  Still about 1/4 full and it's been almost one year!

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...