Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Are You a Water Snob? Tap Water vs. Brita

I have been drinking tap water my entire life.  I used to think that people who only drank water out of bottles or had water filters were just too picky.  Well, times have changed and I have become one of those people.  Several months ago a blogger friend online gave us a tip about $9.00 coupons for a Brita pitcher.  I went online and printed one, took it to Wal-Mart during their Brita sale and got a pitcher for $2.00.  Normally they would have been $12.99.  Our pitcher came with one filter.  I chose the Basic Brita pitcher because it would take up less room in our refrigerator and was an inexpensive way to start using filtered water.  We refill it more often  since it's a 5-cup pitcher but that's OK.

If I could get my husband to "cross over" to the Brita side I'd invest in  a larger pitcher. :)




Filters are changed about every two months and I have a reminder on one of my iPod Touch apps so I remember to change it.

My younger son and I noticed the difference immediately.  It tastes better than even the refrigerator door water which is dispensed.   When I bought it I did not sign up for the Brita Challenge [includes a Sweepstakes entry] but you can if you'd like.  You will notice a difference in the flavor of the water and that alone will make you want to drink more which is SO good for you.

Brita filters do NOT remove every impurity.  From their website:

    The BRITA water filter cartridge reduces chlorine and chlorine compounds as well as other undesirable flavours that may be present in tap water. Heavy metals in tap water, such as lead and copper that can be caused by household plumbing pipes, are also reduced. The elimination of lead and copper in tap water is desirable to protect human health. The claim of the BRITA water filter cartridge to reduce copper and lead significantly has been substantiated in numerous tests. Regionally related traces of pesticides in drinking water can also be minimised by the use of the BRITA water filter cartridges. 
     Drink your water.  I try to drink 6-8 glasses each day beginning with two in the morning to get me started.  Adding a slice of lemon or lime helps cleanse your system and is tasty, too.    If you're trying to lose weight, want great skin and better digestion, you'll definitely benefit from drinking more water.  This little clip art shows you some ways that water benefits your body.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...