Friday, October 7, 2011

Your Can Do This: Make Homemade Garlic Bread

I am very frugal but also enjoy good quality merchandise and food.  I used to purchase frozen garlic bread or even bread that was already buttered and seasoned to bake from the supermarket.  Most frozen breads are at least $2.79 or more (even with a coupon it's $1.40) and that's only for about 8 pieces.   It is much more cost efficient to make your own and it tastes GREAT.

I recently made a large quantity of this to take to a going-away dinner party.   I purchased these large fresh loaves from Sam's Club.  They are $2.58 for two in a bag.  I bought two bags, so $5.16.



Slice the bread with a good, sharp bread knife.



Earlier I had peeled and boiled an entire head of garlic.  See my tutorial on this HERE.  I also put one stick of real butter in a large Pyrex measuring cup to soften and melt a few hours earlier as well.



When the garlic is ready, drain it and put it in the large Pyrex measuring cup with the melted butter.  Fill the measuring cup with olive oil and stir well.



Spread this on the sliced garlic bread and lay face-up on a baking sheet.  You can do one loaf at a time.   Cook at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  The house will smell great!


Put the two long pieces of bread on a cutting board and slice it while warm. Then layer in a large basket with a cloth under and over it all to keep warm.  



Each loaf makes about 12 generous pieces of garlic bread, so I had 24 pieces.  Since it was made with very fresh ingredients it tasted great and   everyone enjoyed it.

If I had purchased the frozen bread  I would have needed at least 3 boxes for 24 pieces.  [3 x $2.79 = $8.37]. The slices in the box

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...