Friday, October 21, 2011

Losing Weight Staying Getting Healthy DIE-Ts

SO many women I know have recently begun (or re-begun) to eat healthier, exercise and take better care of themselves.  I am so glad.  I've been working on this over the last several weeks myself since I was basically a sloth over the summer.


Here are some of my favorite tips:


1. Drink lots of water.  I am a big visual aid person so I keep a little dish with 8 "marbles" in it by my water glass in the kitchen.  Every time I drink a glass, I put a marble by the glass.  Silly, I know, but it really helps me drink the water I  need!  I usually start with 2 glasses as soon as I get up and aways end the day with at least one glass before I go to bed.



2.  Keep track of when you exercise.  Another visual aid for me--my kitchen wall calendar. The stars are on the days when I walk carrying weights.  I strive for 5 days a week.


3.  Always keep a healthy snack IN SIGHT during the day.  Here is a bowl of red and green apples on the kitchen table.  It's even better when you really LIKE apples, as I do.  :) For me, it needs to be something chewy and crunchy.


4.  Keep track of what you eat.  I have never been one to keep a journal but this handy app from iTunes is excellent.  I have it on my iPod Touch.  It's called (what else?) LOSE IT!



5.  Start measuring your food--at least until you get an idea of how much is actually going into your mouth.  I honestly have never done this before but doing so, I am shocked how much I was eating.  I am equally as surprised at the fact that once I measure it and then eat it, that it's really enough (with snacks later, of course). :)  Portion control is the key.


6. Speaking of portion control, that is the bottom line in this entire book The Weigh Down Diet by Gwen Shamblin.  You don't need the class, just the book.  Some of the statements made in the book are a bit quirky, but the portion control is what needs to be focused on.   A dear friend of mine used the tips in this book to go from  weighing 200 lbs. to about 115 AND has kept the weight off for about 10 years or more.  She is one you would never believe had ever been overweight.  An easy way to do portions is to put food on your plate and then remove half of it.  When eating out, cut the meal in half as soon as it is served and take the rest home with you for a later meal.


7.  Read through other healthy cookbooks until you get the hang of NUTRITIOUS food, good healthy food practices and portions.  No need to only cook out of these, but they are helpful to get your started.  I like this author, Pam Smith, and  have heard her myself at a local church. She used to be the nutritionist for the Orlando Magic and has created menus for Seasons 52.  I remember hearing her say once that DIE is in the word DIEt.  How true...



So a good tips... but use whatever works for you.  The main thing is to get started on getting your heart healthy and unfortunately for most, that includes losing weight.  Keep yourself motivated, again by using visual aids in the form of weights.  I posted about that once before.   When you lose pounds, get something that weighs that amount and put it somewhere where you can see it, remembering that you used to carry that around ON you.  It really helps keeping you motivated.  :)

Philippians 4:13 
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...