Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Technology Tip: Reducing the Size of 14 Mega Pixel Photos for Web Use

I have to learn by doing often and what I learned last week I truly stumbled upon.  Many of the photos on this blog are taken with my camera, a 14.1 mega pixel Sony.



I have been uploading the full size photos on to Blogger which takes awhile since they are so large.  The little blue arrows keep spinning and spinning...

I discovered with our Macintosh that there is a MUCH easier way to upload the photos to the Web.  Of course, if you have an iPod Touch with a camera, or a SmartPhone with one you can do it that way.  I prefer the quality of the photos to be pretty good so I generally take them with my REAL camera.    Windows probably has its own simplified method as well but I'm not familiar with that one.  So, for you Mac users...


  1. Take your photos with your good camera
  2. Upload from your camera to your computer's iPhoto program
  3. With the photos you want to use on your screen, go to FILE --> EXPORT
  4. Leave the default settings in place (unless you have need to change them)
  5. Choose where you want the photos to go.  I prefer DESKTOP.
  6. Make sure you have highlighted the photos you want, and click EXPORT tab.
  7. What appears on your desktop (or wherever) will be a "photo" of all of the photos in web size.
  8. Open up the "photo" and drag the individual photos that you need to your desktop individually.
  9. Now you can place them wherever you need them in your blog SO easily and it takes a minimal amount of time to do so.

If you forget how to do this, go to the SEARCH window in iPhoto and search PREPARING PHOTOS TO DISPLAY ON THE WEB.

You can be sure I'll be doing this every time I take photos and want to use them in this blog!

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...