Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Two Ingredients + Spices

I love our ladies groups at church.  I attend a Bible/book study 2x a month and our Titus 2 Moms group 1x a month.  Lots of fellowship and conversation and you learn some practical things as well.  At one of these gatherings recently two of the younger women (thanks, Breanna and Mandi) told me how to make pumpkin muffins with two ingredients--spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin.  Someone had brought them that night as a snack and they tasted great.

When I started to make the muffins this morning, I mistakenly used a yellow cake mix instead of the spice cake mix and didn't realize it until I had already dumped the cake mix into the bowl.


Oops!  I had also already opened the pumpkin.  I have baked many, many pumpkin pies (homemade pumpkin pies are the BEST),  so I improvised --something my kids are usually afraid of when I cook.  I added some cloves and fresh ground cinnamon to the bowl.  They added just the extra flavor that the cake mix needed.  If you use the CORRECT mix (spice cake) you don't need to add anything.  


Since there are no eggs or oil added, the batter is lumpy after stirring well. This is actually better for spooning it into the muffin tins since I usually get it all over the counter and the tins when pouring regular batter in them.  No mess to clean up!



I baked the muffins according to the directions on the cake mix--25 minutes at 350 degrees.  This recipe made 16 sizable muffins and they DO taste great.


Added bonus:  I bought the cake mix at Aldi's for 89 cents and the organic pumpkin was free at a pantry swap party... so 16 muffins for 89 cents!  :)

We're headed to Legoland tomorrow and I wanted a take-along snack for the car.  These will be perfect AND taste like fall as well.  :)





No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...