Saturday, October 1, 2011

Helping New Moms Just Home from the Hospital or Birthing Center

I am simply amazed how quickly young mothers come home from the hospital these days.  A friend had her baby two weeks ago at a birthing center in the mid-morning and was home that afternoon.  I suppose if you have had children (she already had two), you know what to expect, but where's the rest and care after "trauma" to the body?  I saw her yesterday when I took over a meal for the family. She looked fabulous! Baby was healthy...I was amazed.  If I didn't know she had just had  baby, I would not have known.   Her mother had just left from helping; her mother-in-law had just arrived for two weeks.


I had both of our sons in a hospital (I was an "older" mom) via C-section and an ectopic pregnancy in between with the same surgical area reopened for that.   Each time I was in the hospital for five days.  The doctors and  nurses took great care of me and I really felt rested when I left.  We had good insurance and did not need to stress out about the cost, but regardless, it was nice to be waited on  and really trained with a new baby each time.  For baby #1 (see photo above), I literally knew "nothing about birthing babies" or what comes with them.  Most people can hardly believe that I had never even changed a diaper.  I babysat children all through high school but never for  babies.  The nurses  in the hospital taught me everything, from diapering to breast-feeding to bathing, etc. They even sent visitors away when the room got too noisy and/or crowded.  All I had to do was "give the signal".   I was SO thankful for them all.

I encourage women of all ages who have already experienced childbirth  to reach out to a new mom who has just had her first child.    Even those with other young children appreciate  a phone call, a brief visit, a hot meal for the family...something that enables you to communicate with her in case she has questions, fears or  concerns or is just lonely.  Husbands often take a few days or even a week off from work but after that, the new mom is on her own with a little one to care for 24/7.    Many young mothers are separated from their own mothers by distance and even if their mom comes to visit, it's usually only for a week or two to help out at the beginning.   An experienced mom called me regularly for the first month or so after my first son was born for that very reason and was SUCH an encouragement to me.  I have never forgotten it.  Thank you, Sandy.

Reach out to new moms in your circle of women friends, i.e. your neighbors, church, club,  and offer a listening ear or a helping hand.  You will both be blessed.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...