Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pound Cake Using a Box Mix

Plain cookies (like shortbread), plain ice cream without toppings, plain pound cake... these are some of my favorite desserts.  I enjoy toppings and add-ins every now and then but plain to me is just better.

One of my tried and true cookbooks is Ann Byrn's The Dinner Doctor.  She also wrote The Cake Mix Doctor and even has a gluten-free cookbook out now.   She writes recipes that taste like they are "made from scratch" but for which she gives you little handy helper tips to make them.  Her books are quite popular although I did see one this week on Paperback Swap.


Her pound cake recipe is one of the best I have ever tried and I have made it several times. She even calls it "The Best Pound Cake".    Once you taste it, you'll want to go out and get the book especially since it is SO easy to make.    Here you go:

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 stick butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 package yellow cake mix
  • 1 container (8 oz) sour cream
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla 


DIRECTIONS
Prepare a large bundt pan (spray and flour).  I love my red bundt pan.   Be sure to use a large 10" pan because this recipe fills it pretty well.  In a large bowl, combine the butter and oil, beat; add the sugar, beat; add the eggs, beat.  Add the rest of the ingredients and beat more.  Pour the batter into the bundt pan.  Bake for 60-65 minutes at 350 degrees.

There is a similar recipe at AllRecipes.com.  I think the sour cream is the secret ingredient.



For presentation, use a bundt cake pan and slice generous portions, serving with homemade whipped cream and fruit. Mmmm...

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...