Thursday, October 7, 2010

Losing Weight New iPhone iPod Touch App LOSE IT

I find so many interesting things in the newspaper.  Yes, I do skim through the real hand-held paper every other day or so.  You would be surprised how many coupons, special offers, newsworthy items and activities are in there.  

Two weeks ago I stumbled across this new FREE iPhone / iPod Touch app called Lose It!   in the technology section of the Sunday paper.  




I'm fairly short (5'3"), so every pound counts and I had wanted to lose about 10 lbs. before the holidays begin.  All those bulky fall/winter sweaters and jackets can make you look  heavier than you are but we all love that cozy feeling when we wear them.   And a girl has to have a few desserts over  Thanksgiving and Christmas.  :)  Plus, my annual physical is today and I had wanted to look a little leaner for that, too.   

I have never been a calorie counter, mainly watching portions and trying to exercise at least 5x per week.  During the summer I was swimming but now, I walk   for 30 minutes 4-5 mornings a week and go to the YMCA with my son 2x a week.    I've heard that keeping a food diary was a very helpful way to lose weight but thought it was far too much trouble to do. This app lets you do just that and it's SO easy to use.  It has also been very educational for me as many foods that I thought were low in calories actually are not.  Sometimes I just check it to see the nutritional value of a food before putting it in my mouth.  Did you know that a tall pumpkin spice latté with nonfat milk at Starbucks is still 200 calories?!  or that an egg roll is 284 calories?!   

You can also list the ingredients from a recipe and indicate how many servings it is so get the calorie and nutritional info.   I was glad to see that a slice of my homemade bread is 114 calories.  Not too bad.  It's a great tool for making good food choices.  You can also log in your exercises to see how much you have burned (or how much more you can eat).  :)






I've been using it for two weeks and have already lost 2.5 lbs. which was my goal (one pound per week).  I can already tell that my clothes fit a bit more loosely.  Download it today and see if you like it, too.  I highly recommend it.  Did I mention that it's FREE?  4-star rating at the App Store.


UPDATE 5.29.12:
I've been using this for the month of May + walking carrying weights and have lost 5 lbs.   since May 3!   My clothes fit so much better already!   :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...