Thursday, October 21, 2010

Swap Party / Bartering / For Trade

I love to barter rather than outlay the cash for something--a product, a service, food items, whatever.  Several years ago I had a high school piano student who was a delight to teach.  She bartered her ironing, sewing and baking for THREE YEARS for me teaching her piano.  Boy, was I sad when she stopped taking lessons.  Amanda, you'll always be one of my faves. :)  Just this week, I bartered some whole-grain bread dough that I made in exchange for a friend sewing napkins from a tablecloth that I could no longer use.  (More on that, hopefully, tomorrow.)


Last night I attended a PANTRY Swap Party.  Everyone who attended brought at least 10 items (most brought way more) to trade.  There were toiletries, food items, books, baked goods, farm-fresh eggs, utensils, hand-sewn items, coupons galore...  Everything had to be new and unused.   After sorting everything around the host's dining room, we then took turns walking through the room and choosing one item.  We did this about  10  times, then had a free-for-all where everyone went altogether and took what they wanted. I think everyone was pleased with what they ended up with.  What fun, too!    The items that were not chosen will be donated to a local food pantry.



It was such a success and relatively easy to do.  The hostess and one or two others had made snacks to share. We visited for about 30 minutes, then spent about 45 minutes swapping, then visited some more. The entire event was about 2 hours on a weeknight.  I was so glad that I went.

The young moms in our church hope to do a children's clothing / toy swap before Christmas.   I would eventually like to do a clothes swapping party but that can be a little tricky with so many sizes to choose from.   It would probably best be done by age group.  In early December I am planning an ACCESSORY Swap Party since one size generally fits all.  We will swap belts, scarves, jewelry, handbags, socks,  shoes, etc.  I know it will be fun, too!

Try this in your neighborhood, ladies group, church, etc.  It's a great way to show hospitality, get to know and help others, save $$  and have fun all at the same time.


Romans 12:13 
...contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality. 

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...