Friday, October 8, 2010

Annual Physical Exam / Keeping Healthy and Fit / Good Health

I had my annual physical yesterday afternoon.  My husband and I have been doing these every year since we've been married.  Now that we're getting older, they're even more important.  We are firm believers in preventive maintenance as far as our health is concerned.  It's especially important for me since I was adopted as an infant and do not have a family health history available to me.  One side of our children's slate is blank, so I always get whatever tests are needed at whatever age suggested.  So far, the only two out-of-the-ordinary tests  I've had are a bone density test and a colonoscopy, both of which were done when I turned 50.

LIPID Panel Results [red is 2009 results]:
HDL  52   [50] 
LDL   99  [74]
Triglycerides  131 [199 high]
Cholesterol    177  [164 a bit low per Nancy H.]
Cholesterol Ratio  3.4  [3.3]
Thyroid 0.21   [0.86]
Weight:    146  [152]
Blood Pressure:   110/72  [120/86]







A cholesterol test will your doctor your total cholesterol, bad low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, good high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and triglycerides, which is another type of fat found in your blood. Ideally, your levels should be:
  • total cholesterol: below 200 mg/dL
  • LDL levels: below 100 mg/dL(130 and above is considered borderline high) 
  • HDL levels: above40 or 50 for men and women, respectively (but above 60 mg/dL can help protect your heart)
  • triglycerides: below 150 mg/dL (people with high triglycerides often have a high total cholesterol level, including high bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol levels)


Overall, my results were much better than last year and my thyroid meds have been reduced.  :)

My mammograms and pap smears are done routinely every other year as well--the former at a hospital imaging office and the latter with my ob-gyn. Our insurance covers both 100% as I believe, most do.  Breast and ovarian cancers can be treated with good results if diagnosed early so don't delay.

For the last few years I have had my blood testing done BEFORE having my appointment with my doctor so that the results are there at the time of my visit.  Most people do not do this, but when I suggested it to  my  doctor, he thought it was a great idea.  I typically have the same types of tests done each year and by having them done beforehand we actually have something substantial to discuss.  I had the fasting lipids and thyroid labs done last week.  

Believe it or not, I have friends who are my age (mid-50s) who have never had a mammogram and who rarely have physicals, even with histories of specific ailments in their families.  No news is not always good news.  Some conditions can be alleviated  if you catch them early.  My husband was a borderline diabetic and did not know it until last year.  Once he learned that information from his doctor he was highly motivated healthwise.  He started exercising regularly and lost 25+ lbs. over the last year.  He is now off all medications but one.  He's VERY conscientious about the food he eats AND how much of it. For the first time, healthier living has become a lifestyle rather than a project.  (Now, if I can just get him to give up  Splenda and artificially sweetened beverages.)

Find a doctor you can talk with and feel comfortable with. Ask around among your friends.  I've changed mine several times within the same practice and currently go to one who has been trained in nutrition and is open to holistic medicine (supplements, alternative medicine) as well as traditional medicine.  My  husband and I now use the same doctor who is part of Florida Hospital's Family Practice staff.   We both like him.  He's knowledgeable, cautious about "prescribing" anything when a natural remedy may suffice and he's friendly and easy to talk to.  We have been seen by residents at this practice (Florida Hospital is a teaching hospital)  but prefer a faculty physician, which this doctor is.




Have your checkups at least every other year.  Do it for your family, especially if you have children still living at home.  They need you.  For Christians, we need to stay as healthy as we can as good examples to others and to fulfill well the mission(s) for which you have been called.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Great post Tonya and your numbers look great! Good for you and Bob. I always try to get my physical and labwork done right around the time of my birthday...that way I always remember!

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...