Tuesday, March 6, 2012

RECIPE: Tabouleh Couscous

With everyone growing herbs in their gardens (you are doing this, aren't you?), there is often plenty of parsley on hand.  It grows very fast and easily and is a nice addition to salads and other dishes and a pretty green garnish for your plate.  I like to eat it after a meal if it's not already in a dish.  I clip some every few days and keep it in a small crystal vase on my windowsill so I'll use some often.


One recipe to make is Tabouleh, pronounced ta-boo-lah.  It's a quick, whole grain item that can be made in a jiffy and is especially convenient and tasty for summer.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup (or more) of couscous or wheat salad***
  • 1 cup water
  • Fresh parsley, chopped
  • Fresh grape tomatoes, chopped
  • Fresh lemon juice
  • Olive oil
  • Garlic, sea salt, pepper (if a seasoning packet is not included)
***To make this gluten-free, just substitute quinoa for the couscous.

I often use this brand of couscous  but others work just as well.  It's usually more economical to buy a larger container of couscous but these were on sale for about 50 cents apiece a few weeks ago so I purchased several.


Boil the water.  Add the couscous and seasonings [this brand has a seasoning packet].  Turn OFF the heat and let stand for 10-15 minutes.






Add the fresh ingredients, drizzle on some lemon juice and mix well.




That's it.  VERY easy.

You can serve this warm or cold.  It is a delicious side dish.   We had it with baked chicken this week.   I also like a vegetable salad with a 1/2 cup of this on top as a main meal as well which is what I had for lunch yesterday.  Mmm...

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...