Friday, June 11, 2010

Fashion Photo Shoot Digital Camera

A few weeks ago a young friend asked me to do a fashion photo shoot of her senior design collection (evening clothes). She recently graduated from design school and wanted them for her portfolio.  She's seen me take pictures for years and I was really flattered that she asked me to do so. It's my graduation gift for her.   I had just received a new digital camera from my sons for Mothers Day so that's what I used--Sony Cybershot, 14 MP.  It's what I use for this blog and for other photos that I take of the family and events.

Remember:

There is no camera that can make a picture.
No lens, no lights can make a picture.
Forget about different cameras and accessories, just use what you’ve got.   
Only your eyes can make a picture.


Here is the makeup station:




The backdrop is basically a huge piece of heavy paper on a roll (like paper towels) which hangs from the ceiling.  It is pulled down and onto the floor to make a nice clean background.  Here are a few  of the photos that I shot of the young women and fashions that day.  Totally fun morning, about 2 hours, 150 photos later...









I'm not a professional photographer but I love taking photos.  I got a book from our local library recently that has so improved my photography titled How to Photograph Your Life by Nick Kelsh.   One thing he says that really perked my interest in photography even more is that it's not the camera you use, but the way you see things that makes interesting pictures.  The entire book is shot with a pocket digital camera very similar to mine so he illustrates clearly how it can be done well.  

UPDATE December 2010:  
My older son bought this book as a thoughtful Christmas gift for me.  :)


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...