Tuesday, June 8, 2010

How to Cook Fresh Summer Zellwood Corn

The older I get the more I realize that the simple things are the favorites and often the most enjoyed. Take corn on the cob for example.  A simple, easy to cook vegetable that many only eat from a can. I'm not a purist and I do use canned corn in certain recipes, but when fresh is available and reasonably priced, I always go for that first.  What people who only eat canned veggies for convenience are missing is sad because fresh-cooked puts a smile on everyone's face. Not sure if it's because you pick it up and eat it with your hands (and get a little messy sometimes), but it's always a hit  at our house when I prepare this.

Here are some easy tips for cooking fresh corn on the cob that I learned long ago. I don't remember the source since I've been cooking corn this way for  so many years.  Fresh corn, like blueberries and watermelon, are in season right now, so buy plenty while the prices are good.  I bought 8 ears of corn (in husks) for $2.00 this week.   Don't waste your $$ on ears that are pre-packaged and already de-husked.   It only takes a minute to remove the green husks. 

You could have a veggie / fruit / bread dinner some night.   I haven't done that yet, but I love eating lots of fresh cooked foods together.    Before the end of the season, I hope to buy lots, cook it and freeze it for later.  


PERFECTLY COOKED CORN


Cook only what you need just before you are ready to serve it.  Reheating the corn is OK but not quite as good as just cooked.

Husk the ears of corn.  I hold each over an open trash can while doing this rather than the sink.  Those little strings are hard to out of the sink once they're wet.

Scrub with a nylon brush over the sink with running water.

Fill a large pot with cold water. 

ADD one tablespoon of sugar.

Add corn and boil for 20 minutes.  If you cook it much longer, it will get hard.



Remove and put on a platter.      If you leave it in the water after cooking to stay hot, every time anyone takes a bite, they will squirt someone across the table. (been there, done that... embarrassing if company's over)  :)  

It's good plain with nothing else added, but my family  prefers it buttered.  The easiest way   to butter corn, if you do, is to pick up a stick up butter and rub it on the hot corn with one hand while rotating it on the platter with the other. I never add salt to food and this tastes delicious!


The other night I served it with a chicken divan casserole and peaches.


I should have used another color of  plates.  I don't think the men in the house noticed.   :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummo!!! Sounds good! Can you email me your chicken divan casserole recipe? Chick divan is aaron's favorite!!! Love, Stephanie :)

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...