Saturday, June 5, 2010

My First Homemade Blueberry Pie / Thank You AllRecipes.com

Blueberries just make me smile.  They are so tasty and amazingly good for you. I think they're even called one of the fresh Super Foods. Right now, they are in season here in Florida.  


My husband has been dropping not-so-subtle hints the last two weeks about me making a blueberry pie which I have ignored until yesterday.  I thought I would give it a try using one of the recipes from  AllRecipes.com which a friend of mine uses almost every night  in choosing her dinner recipes.  I checked the list and saw that I already had everything in the frig or pantry.  It only took about 15 minutes to put it all together, especially since I had pie crusts in the refrigerator.  After  I made our supper, I put the pie in the oven so it was nice and warm for dessert.  Topped it off with homemade whipped cream and voila!  Everyone loved it.  Smiles all around (including me)!  :)


Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (I used coarse sea salt)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 cups fresh blueberries (I used 2 1/2 cups fresh; 1 1/2 cups frozen, thawed)
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (I unrolled two Pillsbury Pie Crusts)
  • 1 tablespoon butter

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over blueberries.
  3. Line pie dish with one pie crust. Pour berry mixture into the crust, and dot with butter. Cut remaining pastry into 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide strips, and make lattice top. Crimp and flute edges. (Next time, I'll spray with Pam although it actually came out of the dish fairly easily.)
  4. Bake pie on lower shelf of oven for about 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.                 










No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...