Thursday, April 29, 2010

Morning Devotions in My House / Your Special Retreat at Home

From my windowsill:





Proverbs 16:9
The mind of man plans his way,
But the LORD directs his steps. 
===================================

MORNING DEVOTIONS / QUIET TIME IN A SPOT OF YOUR OWN
Do you have a place in your home where you can go to be quiet, read and pray?  This is my special spot in  our living room--the corner of this sofa by the green lamp.   I staked it out for myself when we first moved into this house about 12 years ago since my piano also sits in this room.  My husband now uses it, too, but gets up much earlier than I do and comes in here to read and pray, sometimes even in the middle of the night.   When our children were younger, we would have family devotions in this room.   :)  

Notice what's in this spot.  A comfortable place to sit, plenty of light, a beverage, a snack, the Bible and a basket filled with other books to read, paper, pens and highlighters.  

I like reading through a one-year Bible which has a section from the Old Testament, one from the New Testament, a Psalm and a Proverb for each day of the year. There's no fumbling around with a reading schedule or looking up passages.  You just go right to the date you're on and start reading.  If I skip a day which happens sometimes, I just go to the current day  and start there.   I've read through the entire Bible every year for  many years now and each time there is always something new to discover in the Word of God.

This Bible is used only for reading and does not have written notes inside.  It is not my study Bible.  I use a New American Standard version that is covered in notes and asterisks throughout.  I often use Accordance Bible software which makes cross-referencing and word studies much quicker and more thorough during  my study times. Generally I prefer to cross-reference the Bible with itself rather than using commentaries or other books although we have quite a few of those.



I like to have plenty of light in the daytime when I read and I enjoy pausing and looking out this large window to our back porch when the sun is shining.  

Here's the rest of this special room in our home from another angle.

I also have Plan B if someone else wants to sit in "my spot"--a rocking chair with another lamp nearby.  Sometimes I just want to face the other way.  :)

Everyone needs their own special retreat within their home.  When my children were little and would  see me in here, they knew not to disturb me until I told them I am finished.   Even young children can be taught to not interrupt Mom or Dad while they are alone with the Lord.   Even now as my sons are much older, they recognize and see the value in what I am doing and generally do not come in until I am finished other than to greet me in the morning.  I do not  have a television or radio in this room, nor do I bring a telephone in here with me.  It's simply a pretty, quiet place to come away for awhile and be refreshed.  I hope you have a similar spot in your home to get away and be alone with the Lord.   It will do your soul good to do so often and helps prepare you for whatever lies ahead in your day.

Mark 6:31 
And He said to them, 
Come away by yourselves to a secluded place 
and rest a while.”


In my morning devotions today I was praising and thanking God that our college son is moving home (maybe this weekend) for the summer!  I'm one happy mom!  :) :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...