Thursday, April 15, 2010

Free Starbucks Coffee Today/ Income Tax Day / Maintaining Losing Weight with VitaMix Smoothies & Fruit

From my windowsill:






Starbucks is encouraging its customers to switch from paper to reusable cups to reduce waste for Make A Difference (Tax Day) Promotion. Get a free brewed Starbucks coffee on April 15, 2010 when you bring in  a reusable mug for your coffee.

==========================================
Last fall I lost 10 lbs. by changing the way that I eat, particularly in the mornings plus some moderate exercise.  I started walking 4-5 mornings a week for 20 minutes.  I just upped it to 30 minutes this week and even 45 minutes when I walk with a friend (maybe once or 2x a week).   I also go to the YMCA 2x a week with my son to lift weights (FitLinxx system) and sometimes use the treadmill while I'm waiting on him to finish.
The dietary difference was eating only fruit and/or fruit smoothies in the mornings until noon.  After that, I eat regular food for each meal trying to keep breads to only 2 pieces for the rest of the day.  So, I have a half a sandwich (homemade bread) or one slice of bread for lunch and one for dinner, or a roll, or pasta.  I have been doing this for several months now and if I eat more than that, I can tell that I feel bloated and it is VERY hard to digest.   Once we pass 50 and maybe even before for some, our metabolism slows down which includes digestion.  Fruit is the easiest thing to digest and is easy on the stomach plus it tastes GREAT.  
If my family wants something else for breakfast I go ahead and make it and usually have it for lunch instead of in the mornings.  If I find that I am still pretty hungry around 11 a.m. I may have a string cheese stick but usually I don't need it.  


Here's how I make smoothies using my VitaMix.  You could use a blender, but adjust the sizes of the fruits/vegetables you use.  The VitaMix makes it quick and easy to prepare.   I use it just about every day so it is one appliance that I keep on my kitchen counter.

Here are the main ingredients I used for smoothies I made yesterday--frozen cranberries (I buy a few bags in the fall and freeze them); frozen blueberries (I was using fresh but now they are WAY too expensive); a banana or two; two celery sticks.  Celery sticks add a fresh taste and also water when blended into a smoothie, plus you get a vegetable which none of us eats enough of.  I love the taste of fruit smoothies with one or two celery sticks in them.



I put everything in the VitaMix and add orange juice, 1 cup of water + crushed ice.


Oh, one more ingredient--a spoonful of honey.  I use organic honey which I buy from a friend who gets it from a beekeeper for $25  a GALLON.



Blend for about 45 seconds to a minute for this many ingredients.


Doesn't this look delicious?  It tastes great.


I usually drink one glass in the morning around  8 or 9 a.m. after walking and then maybe another around 11 a.m. if I'm hungry.   This tides me over until noon or 12:30 p.m. when we eat lunch.  Often I'll have another around 4:00 p.m. so I'm not eating chips or cookies before dinner.  It really helps curb my appetite!


I make enough to fill a clean plastic bottle and can drink this for the next day or so (less if my husband drinks one at night, which he often does).  He says he feels like he should leave $4.00 or so on the table for me since that's what he's paid at times at the smoothie shop.  :)



One more tip...cleaning the blender.  I thought everyone knew about this until I mentioned it to a young woman recently and she never had.  To clean a blender or VitaMix, just rinse it out, then squirt one squirt of liquid dish soap inside.   Put the lid on it and whirl for about 15 seconds.  You've just cleaned the blade and the lower part of the blender.  Remove the blender container and take to the sink.  With the soapy water still inside, just stick your hand in and wash the upper part of the blender. This way, there's NO way you can cut yourself on the sharp blades, yet you've got them really clean.  Rinse with very hot water and turn upside down to dry in a drainboard or on a towel.  VERY easy.  I do this each time I use my VitaMix.


Try this method for losing a few pounds but also to get more fruits and vegetables into your daily diet which we all need.   I feel so much better without filling my stomach with heavy foods (bacon, eggs, grits, cereal...) in the mornings.  I still enjoy these foods but just eat them later in the day after the evening meal has fully digested.  I'll let you know in a month or so if I've lost any more weight with the extra walking. 





No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...