Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TUESDAY Romertopf Clay Pot Baking Beef in Wine Recipe / SwagBucks

From my windowsill:



Proverbs 3:27
 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
When it is in your power to do it

=============================================

CLAY POT COOKING:
Last night I prepared beef and vegetables in my Romertopf Clay Pot (a gift from a sweet friend).  This is only the third time I have used this baking pot.   If you see one of these pots at a yard sale (usually at great prices) buy it.  At the very least you could resell it, but keep one for yourself to cook in as well.   Although a bit cumbersome to get in and out of the cabinet, the taste of the meal from such simple ingredients was absolutely delicious.  The dish I have probably weighs a couple  of pounds so use caution if you have limited arm strength when lifting, both when it is empty and filled.

The first step is to soak the pot (top and bottom) in water for 15-30 minutes.  You may notice the blackness on the pot in places.   One big rule with these pots is:  NEVER USE SOAP ON THEM.  They're similar to cast iron skillets in that way.  They become more seasoned with each use.  I have only used mine three times and it's getting some of the blackness on the bottom and the top.


After soaking, place on a towel and then fill it as usual with whatever you are cooking. I used 2 lbs. of stew beef, wine,  3 stalks of celery, 1 large onion (not pearl), 6 carrots, 2 heads of garlic and tomato sauce.  


A good recipe online is at this link.  I doubled it since we were having a young single man over for dinner and I wanted enough to send home some with him.  


Put it in a COLD oven; do NOT preheat.  Set the oven  temperature  to 400 degrees and cook for 2 hours.


When finished, carefully remove from the oven. It's a bit heavy be careful lifting it out of the oven.  It looks like this when it comes out.
  


I served it with garlic mashed potatoes and homemade bread, and strawberries.  Mmm... I made enough so our single guest could take about 3/4 loaf of bread and a large helping of the potatoes and stew home.  He was pretty happy when he left.  :)  There was also enough for another 2 lunches and extra broth which I froze for another time when making soup or gravy.  Don't want to waste the wine!  


I have posted another article about my first time cooking with this pot but for some reason when I changed the name of my blog, all my articles show up on the right-hand column but you can't find them when using the search window at the bottom.  Just the ones with the new name show up.  If I figure out how to correct this, I will, or if anyone knows what to do, let me know please.  




=============================================
SWAGBUCKS

Have you ever heard of Swag Bucks?  I had heard of it several months ago and even joined and redeemed my points to donate to the Haiti Relief Fund, then promptly forgot about it.  I have not even looked at it since.  Well yesterday morning on my Facebook a friend posted that she had just redeemed her points for an Apple iMac Computer for her kids!  As much as I search the internet, to not even take advantage of a convenient way to earn free points (which translate into $$) is a waste.  I'm all for using the computer to its best advantage and this is one simple way to do so.  If you haven't tried Swag Bucks, here is my referral link to do so.  

All you do is go to the site, register and  search as you would on the internet.  Sometimes I don't find what I need especially images, so Google wins out in that department.  But when I do, it's fun to see the little Swag Bucks money logo pop up and say how many bucks you just earned.  :)




1 comment:

Amy said...

I use swagbucks too! I used many of ours to buy Christmas gifts last year. It's great!

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...