Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Using Leftover Rotisserie Chicken / Homemade Stromboli

From my windowsill:


MAKING HOMEMADE STROMBOLI
This is an easy meal to prepare with leftover meat and cheese.  Banana peppers are the secret ingredient.  



Since I've been making my own bread for a few months, I put all the bread ingredients--fresh ground flour, honey, salt, olive oil, milk, yeast and water-- in the bread machine and set it to #9, which is the DOUGH cycle.  After an hour and a half, fresh dough is ready to make whatever I need.  You can also use the frozen loaves that you buy in the grocery store such as Bridgford which is how I used to make this before I had a bread machine.  In our family of four we needed two of the frozen  loaves to make enough for a meal.   One bread machine loaf is ample.

I dump the dough onto a greased cookie sheet and spread it out to cover the entire sheet.  You can also halve the dough for a thinner crust and make two stromboli with the same batch of bread dough.


Then I layer the ingredients in a row in the center of the dough.  We had a rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club  on Sunday and there were leftovers.  This is one of the best choices for meat since it is already seasoned.  I broke it up into little pieces, removing all of the bones.  Next I placed two cut up string cheese mozzarella sticks plus some sliced provolone cheese.  I thought I had more sliced provolone than I actually did so I  had to improvise with the cheese.  Use whatever cheese you like.  Next top all of this with a layer of sliced banana peppers.


Pull the sides of the bread dough up and over the ingredients you have placed in the center and pinch the tops so that they seal closed.  

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  When it's done, it looks like this.

Let it cool for about 10 minutes, then slice with a very sharp knife (I use a bread knife).  Slice slowly and carefully so that each piece is complete with meat, cheese and peppers and nothing is oozing out of the sides.  When sliced, it looks like this.  It makes about 12 large slices.   Everyone was hungry, so a few pieces have already been removed in the photo.  :)

Homemade stromboli is very good and reheats well for lunches the next day.  I served it with Fritos and red apple slices for dinner; with soup and grapes for lunch.   This is a favorite meal in our home, suitable for lunch or dinner.  

Other options for stromboli ingredients:  
  • steak strips, cheese, onions
  • ham, cheddar cheese
  • apples, cinnamon, butter
  • meatballs, spaghetti sauce
Thank you to our science teacher, Sherry, who introduced this recipe to me a few years ago AND to Gabriele who taught me how to make bread.  :)


2 comments:

Julia said...

Thanks for sharing this! I'm going to try it next week.

Rhonda said...

This looks very yummy. I know Mark will love it. I enjoy trying new recipes from all over. I am going to keep posting some of the different ones I have found over the years. Thanks,
http://rhondareflects.blogspot.com

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...