Friday, April 23, 2010

Making Homemade Whipped Cream


From my windowsill:





MAKING HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM:
Usually when I have leftovers or something simple for supper (I try to make most of my meals that way), I have at least one part of the meal that is special.  One night this week when we had leftovers I made some brownies for dessert (box mix) and homemade whipped cream.


I have not bought aerosol whipped cream in years once I learned how to make this simple treat. Everyone in the family loves it and it tastes absolutely delicious on fruit, cake, brownies, sundaes...

Here are the steps to make this treat for your family.  It only takes about 10 minutes to make. Honest!  Only 3 ingredients.

In a mixing bowl, put one cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp. vanilla, and 1/4 cup of sugar. Chill the bowl with or without the ingredients in it (I use a stainless steel one)  and beaters for about 5 minutes in your freezer.  I don't usually put the ingredients in but the beats had just come out of the warm dishwasher and I wanted everything chilled quite well.

I buy the cream from Sam's Club in a one-quart carton.  It's about $2.29.  In the grocery store you pay about this much for a small 1/2 cup carton.  I use vanilla often as a flavoring in coffee grounds when making fresh coffee so I also have a large bottle of that on hand.  I keep my sugar in the refrigerator since we don't use it often.  If the whipped cream will be served on a sweet like the brownies here, I only use about 1/4 cup.  If it's to be used on fruit, you might want it a little sweeter.   You could substitute honey for the sugar if you prefer.

Adjust the portions of vanilla and sugar depending on your own personal tastes.  Beat on high for about 5 minutes until the cream thickens and peaks. 

When it's ready, it looks like this.

All the men in my house like to lick the beaters.  Whoever happens to be home is the lucky one.  :)


Serve.  That night we had it on brownies. Mmm...  :)

Sometimes it's the little things that make something rather ordinary (brownies) into something special, and those small things may be what your family remembers the most.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...