Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day / Miserly Moms Living Frugally / Alive at 25 Driving Safety Course / Yard Flags and Decor

From my windowsill:









Earth Day, April 22, 2010:
Recycle or Freecycle, Restore or Rebuild, Replenish or Replace, Reduce or Remove, Reuse whatever you can.  Remember though, to worship the Creator, not the creation.
Genesis 1:1   
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 




Genesis 1:29-31 Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;  and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so.  God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day. 


=======================================
FOCUS ON THE FAMILY:
Here are two broadcasts from one of my favorite programs, Focus on the Family, that I heard this week.   My kids were raised indirectly by Dr. James Dobson

and although he is no longer part of Focus on the Family's regular broadcasts, they still have some excellent podcasts which I save to iTunes.  I like to listen while I'm at the YMCA or walking in the mornings. 

The title of each is:  Frugal Living in a Tough Economy.  The guest speaker is Jonni McCoy, author of Miserly Moms: Living Well in a Tough  Economy.  I'm always on the hunt for new ways to save money with continuing to be a mom at home as my primary goal.   When I stopped working in the corporate world almost 21 years ago we took more than a 50% decrease in our total income.  We cut back and cut back and of course, gave up quite a lot, but gained oh, so much more.  Being home with our two sons has been a blessing beyond what I could have ever imagined and I am so glad I did.  You can live on one income. It CAN be done. with patience, prayer, biblical counsel and a little imagination and resourcefulness thrown in.  :)  Also, by being frugal, you can surprisingly be quite generous.  Try it.

Part 1, broadcast on April 19
Part 2, broadcast on  April 20
===================================================

FREE DRIVING SAFETY COURSE:
From The Happy Housewife (one of my favorite blogs for moms):
The National Safety Council has created a program called Alive at 25 for parents like me. This program helps parents and kids work through real life examples that reinforce good driving skills. Midas is currently offering this program free to anyone who registers on the website

I signed up for this yesterday for my 15-year-old son who is learning to drive now.  For this safety-conscious mom, this was a no-brainer.  
===================================================
FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION IN YOUR OWN FRONT YARD:
Everyone loves to express themselves differently and I love to see that there are such a variety of people around me.  On a morning walk in our neighborhood I noticed how differently people's yard accents express who they are.  

These displays make me smile and also make me glad that my neighbors are not all just like me.

Some like the lazy days of spring and summer.


Quite a few had American flags on display to show their patriotism and not just on holidays.   We put ours up on holiday weeks.

There are the nature lovers.  Save the manatees...

the sports fans...
CLICK ON Read More to finish this article.












Some like the whimsical...


What Florida neighborhood would be complete without pink flamingos?    I saw two yards with these.  :)

Some like to send a parting message to their guests.



Even unusual mailboxes.  I need to do a separate blog on them sometime.   This was in a neighborhood where I stopped to yard sale last weekend.  

All in all, good fun and expression by people we and many we do not know who live near us.  Hope this puts a smile on your face and makes you think how you could express yourself in YOUR front yard.  :)



No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...