Monday, April 19, 2010

Spring Cleaning One Little Step at a Time / Your Refrigerator, Part 3 / Making Soup

From my windowsill:



Philippians 4:11-13 
Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. 
===================================================

After I organized my refrigerator, including the produce drawer,  

I wanted to use up some of the leftover fresh vegetables that were not packaged.  We all sometimes put one or two of a vegetable or fruit in the bin and then forget about it.  Here are the fresh ingredients I pulled out to make vegetable soup--1/2 box of mushrooms, 2 potatoes, 2 heads of garlic, 3 stalks of celery, 3/4 green pepper, 3/4 bag of baby carrots and 1/2 onion.   I don't usually worry about the combinations of vegetables. If it's in our refrigerator, I know everyone likes it.  :)

My secret ingredient to the best vegetable or chicken soup is Knorr's Vegetable Soup Recipe Mix.  One small bag is about $2.00 but I usually stock up when it's on sale at the grocery store.   The combinations of seasonings in this make all my soups  taste wonderful!


At about 10:30 a.m. I chopped up all the vegetables plus about 1/4 bag of leftover steak fajita strips and put it all in a large stew pot.

I then  added one can of corn and one can of diced tomatoes.  

The soup prep process only took about 20 minutes and then I returned to cleaning out the refrigerator.  I added enough water to just cover everything and heated the soup to a boil, then simmered for about 1 1/2 hours.  

By noon we had delicious homemade soup for lunch.   My frig cleaning project (the right side of the frig) was done and lunch was ready!  The soup plus one slice of homemade bread with the tiny bit of leftover egg salad I also found in the frig was lunch that day.


Plus a bonus!  I found 1/2 a tub of chocolate chip cookie dough in the frig as well.   These only take 12 minutes or so to bake so while I was putting the food on our plates, I put these in the oven.  Lots of smiles at my house!

Sometimes pausing in the middle of  a project actually gives you MORE time in the long run.  I didn't need to figure out what to have for lunch and I made enough for at least 2 more days of soup as a side item AND cookies.  The refrigerator got clean (see previous posts) and the family was well fed and loved with something homemade.






Proverbs 31:27
She looks well to the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness. 


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...