Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Making Homemade Easter / Resurrection Eggs, Part 1


3.28.12   Link added to Equip & Encourage

This year (2012),  Good Friday is on April 6 and Easter is on April 8
=================================



I'm a little behind on this since I've been sick. Good Friday is next week, April 2, with Easter the following Sunday, April 4.   When my older son was about 3 years old, we made these eggs together.  You can purchase "Resurrection Eggs" from various sites online, but they are much more meaningful and educational if you make them together with your child(ren) yourself. Once you make them, one egg is opened each day from Palm Sunday through Easter with scriptures read for each day. Inside each egg is  a small item related to the scripture.  You could also make ONE each day and use it as your Easter learning time with your children the first time you make them.  We made them all in a couple of days, then opened them throughout Easter week.

We have had these eggs for almost 18 years and they are still in great shape, carefully stored after each Easter.  When I set them out, I have fond memories both with my older son who helped make them and with my younger son as he opened and learned from them as a young child.  They are currently sitting in our living room for the Lenten season.

To make these eggs:

You'll need these basic supplies:

  • straw basket
  • purple cloth (represents royalty of Christ)
  • white cloth (represents forgiveness from our sins)
  • a dozen plastic LARGE eggs that open and shut
  • glue gun or Elmer's glue (we used Elmer's white glue)
  • sequins, stars, stickers, jewels, decorative add-ons
  • fabric paint or colored Sharpies
  • your Bible

We spent one session just decorating the eggs.  Round up your supplies.  You may already have everything on hand except the sequins, jewels and begin decorating the outside of the eggs.  I'll continue this tomorrow (maybe later today if I have time).   It's a fun craft for your kids and an easy way to teach the truths about Jesus' Resurrection during the Easter season.  


1 comment:

Virginia Knowles said...

Thanks for posting on my blog link carnival, Tonya! Your readers can join the fun at http://www.comewearymoms.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-weekly-blog-carnival-equip.html

Your post is from 2010, and the dates for 2012 are Good Friday on April 6 and Easter on April 8.

Virginia

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...