Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March 3: Contentment and Music Rehearsals

CONTENTMENT SCRIPTURES
Phil. 4:6-7   Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 
2Th. 3:16   Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! 

PEACE & CONTENTMENT
If you want to receive peace from God, you need to present your requests to Him in a relaxed, cheerful, thankful and trusting fashion...The peace that passes all understanding comes from prayer that is based on the Word of God...The evidence that your prayer is acceptable to God is that you experience the peace of God in your heart.  (Henry Brandt)


[excerpted from Contentment: A Matter of the Heart by Karen Horsey / Karen's Kreations]
=============================================================
This Saturday I am the piano accompanist for two young band students, boys, about 10-11 years old.  They are each playing their chosen instruments, alto saxophone and trumpet, in a competitive solo/ensemble competition that afternoon. 
I have three half-hour rehearsals with them separately, then the competition.  I find myself wanting to train them as apparently their current teachers have not, in rhythm and counting, dynamics and interpreting the music. It's been a crash course in music theory for these students.   I was getting a little anxious today with one of them but then I remembered that they are both playing wind instruments which  require correct breathing to play well.  Since I play piano, I am not accustomed to a blue-in-the-face feeling but these kids were about to hyperventilate from going over and over the music  with me in 30 minutes time.  Little breaks and some laughter between each review plus a few encouraging words worked wonders.  Plus, when the mom came in during the last 5 minutes to hear, the playing improved dramatically!  :)  It's my job to make them look better than they are but I do hope they both play their best on Saturday for the competition.  I told them, as I tell all my piano students to Relax and Enjoy the Music.... :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...