Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 4: Contentment When Interruptions Occur

CONTENTMENT SCRIPTURES
Rom. 15:13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. 
John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." 
1Cor. 7:32 But I want you to be free from concern. One who is unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord...

PEACE  &  CONTENTMENT
Two women looked through prison bars, one saw mud, the other saw stars. (Unknown)
In acceptance lieth peace. (Amy  Carmichael)
Peaceful trust in God will cure anxiety even in the midst of a crisis.  Forgiving others quiets your own heart.  (Henry Brandt)


[excerpted from Contentment: A Matter of the Heart by Karen Horsey / Karen's Kreations]
====================================================
INTERRUPTIONS:  This week my husband decided to work from home on Monday and Tuesday which means I did not have use of our large desktop computer except when he took short breaks.   Yes, I have my own 13" Mac laptop now (courtesy of my son) but when I work on Word or Excel I generally prefer to see the document in a larger format especially since I keep 2-3 applications open at the same time while I am working on a project.  This 2-day absence from that computer gave me more time to do other things (primarily a lot of cooking) but one of my regular weekly email projects that I do for our church got behind.  Plus, he had some trouble with the printer on his projects and I had to take time out and be a tekkie as well.  This morning when he returned to work,  I spent 2-3 hours online  just getting caught up.  I'm not usually a procrastinator and I like to do time-consuming projects a little bit at a time rather than have them pile up; my husband and I are completely opposite in this way.  


Although it was an annoyance in that way having him here, it was a blessing in other ways.  My younger son was able to come in and chat throughout the day plus he had lunch with us.  They do not spend enough time together as it is, so this was a great joy for me to see.  He was also able to take a short nap each day which he needs to do at work but most of the time is not able to do so.  On Monday we had a special friend from church who is mostly blind come and "tutor" a conversational Spanish lesson with my younger son and one of his friends. My husband was able to sit in on part of that as well.  He is generally not involved in homeschooling.   Our older son works nearby on Tuesdays and arrives here around 5:00 p.m.  This time my husband was home to see him and spend more of the afternoon and evening than he normally would have, since he arrives home at 6:30 p.m. or later.  


So, although the change of plans was a distraction, it had many plusses on the family side of things.  All in all, after pondering over the last two days I can honestly say it was good to have had him home with us.  If you are a mom with young children, these distractions occur almost hourly.  You look around the house and see myriads of things to be done, yet your little one(s) are constantly wanting to spend time with you, play with you and talk.  I like to keep a tidy house, too, but cleaning up a little bit at a time really is OK.   We Type A's need to keenly discern what matters more; the good is not always the best.  Trust me, you'll be glad you spent the time with your children when they older and going off in different directions.  My children and I have always had an "ongoing conversation" which is as natural as breathing to us.  I would not trade that for  more money, a nicer car, or a perfect home.  The primary goal for me was to have a happy, cohesive and close family.  In this day and age hard choices and sacrifices have to be made to accomplish that but it has certainly been worth it for us.



No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...