Monday, March 1, 2010

March 1: Contentment and Tax Preparation

Several years ago a dear friend of mine, Karen Horsey, compiled a booklet of thoughts and quotes for a women's seminar called  Contentment, A Matter of the Heart, which I keep open next to my Bible.  Karen is a long-term missionary  with Campus Crusade for Christ, wife to Dave, and mother of three grown children with two grandchildren.   I try to read her little booklet every day along with my Bible during my quiet moments, usually in the morning.  There are 31 days' worth, one for each day of the month.  I'll begin each blog in March with these.

CONTENTMENT SCRIPTURES  FOR THE DAY
Psa. 16:5 The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot. 

1Pet. 5:7 casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. 
Is. 26:4 “Trust in the LORD forever, for in GOD the LORD, we have an everlasting Rock. 
Psa. 68:19   Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears our burden, the God who is our salvation. Selah. 

CONTENTMENT vs. HAPPINESS
  • True contentment comes from knowing and trusting God.
  • False happiness comes when things are going well.
  • Authentic contentment is steady as long as we trust God, and it can be felt in the midst of troubles.
  • Counterfeit happiness is unpredictable. When hardships come, we may sink into depression.
[excerpted from Contentment: A Matter of the Heart by Karen Horsey / Karen's Kreations]



==============================================

I will begin Spring Cleaning later in the month but right now, I'm starting the various steps needed to prepare our tax return.  Primarily it's a matter of gathering documents, filing, sorting, selecting and inputting everything needed to complete our accountant's Tax Organizer.  I'm still not quite sure what we're paying him for since it seems I do so much of the work, but we're beyond the basic 1040EZ and itemize everything for our household and our three home businesses.  I don't trust myself in preparing such a detailed return.

On Saturday I finished gathering the remainder of 2009 documents which will be filed in a large expandable folder.  Next, I will be going through every single piece of paper in that folder and tossing what is not needed for taxes and grouping together by category everything that is related. Then I'll start printing reports from my Ebay business which are easily accessible since I have a store.  After that I go through every credit card statement and checkbook register, highlighting all the transactions that are tax-related.  These are then input into the computer via Quicken and I print out the reports that are needed for major categories.  The tax organizer is filled out and then taken to the accountant.  I hope to finish everything in two weeks since each "step" will take a few hours to accomplish.  Doing a little each day helps keep me from getting stressed and/or overwhelmed by this sizeable project.







No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...