Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 23: Contentment / Childhood Heroes / Farewell to Fess Parker

CONTENTMENT SCRIPTURES
1Chronicles 29:11-12 “Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth; Yours is the dominion, O LORD, and You exalt Yourself as head over all. Both riches and honor come from You, and You rule over all, and in Your hand is power and might; and it lies in Your hand to make great and to strengthen everyone."

No Whine in Contentment
There is no condition of life in which we cannot abide in Jesus...The saint realizes that it is God Who engineers circumstances, consequently there is no whine, but a reckless abandon to Jesus.  (Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest)


[excerpted from Contentment: A Matter of the Heart 
by Karen Horsey / Karen's Kreations]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Despite the fiasco of the U.S. health care reform, I heard other sad news yesterday morning.  A childhood hero of mine passed away last week--Fess Parker. (I was sick at the time and had not heard the news.)  Does anyone remember him from Disney's Davy Crockett? Old Yeller? or the old Daniel Boone series of the 1960's?  I just always loved anything that he was in--good family entertainment with a moral message and he was always the handsome hero in the program.  Some quotes from various people who knew him:
Visual effects artist, Disney veteran, and Parker family friend Harrison Ellenshaw said, "Fess Parker was an icon to generations of kids with coonskin caps. He was also a wonderful husband, family man, role model, and a gentleman beyond reproach. I have personally known Fess since 1954, and I will forever remember his kindness and generosity; he will be terribly missed."
Noted film critic and author Leonard Maltin said, "Fess had an enormous impact on a whole generation of kids. It's almost impossible to overstate how popular Davy Crockett was, and it made him an overnight star. The nicest part about meeting him in later years was discovering that he was just as genuine and likeable as he seemed on screen."
Pete Docter, Oscar®-winning director of Disney-Pixar's Up, observed, "Meeting him was a real high point, and I don't think I've ever met anyone that better fit the word 'gentleman.' He was patient and kind, both with me and all my questions about his career and collaborators, as well as with our young kids who had been obsessively watching the Davy Crockett DVDs for months prior. Though I'm sure he was a busy man, he spent the entire afternoon showing me and my family around his winery, treating us to lunch, and talking about his life. It was a day we'll never forget."



Creating a successful business with his family was one of Parker's proudest achievements.  Parker and his wife Marcella celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in January of 2010. Their son Eli and daughter Ashley, as well as 11 grandchildren and one great grandchild spent a great deal of time with Parker in his final months and weeks.  It should be said that Parker was always extremely grateful to his long time fans for their continued support and friendship over the years.

Very rarely these days do you hear peers of a well-known actor speak so highly of one another.  It was good to know that he was much like the characters that he portrayed on screen.

Having worked in the film industry my first year out of college, I have a fascination with character actors. When I see a character on TV or in the movies, I like to look them up and see what their names are, and what they are really like.  So often I am disappointed in what I read about them.  I don't have the heart to tell my husband that some of his favorites live such shameful lives.

I am glad that Fess Parker was real.  I think I'll pull out one of his old movies to watch tonight.  If you have not introduced him to your kids, don't let them grow up without enjoying these wonderful family films such as Davy Crockett or Old Yeller.

Check out some of his films for an enjoyable entertaining evening with your family.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...