Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks, Thanksgiving, This Time in History

Well, this is the final item in my Thanksgiving list although certainly not the end of things / people that I am thankful for. To review my entire list, go to the blog archives and click on NOVEMBER to see them all. Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving Day with your family and give thanks with a grateful heart. [NOTE: My blog will continue with Christmas items beginning tomorrow.]

26. I am thankful to be alive at this appointed time in history.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now that I am out of school and testing (except for homeschooling) I love reading about history. My particular favorite is pioneer women of the western U.S. and medieval women in Europe. I don't know how they survived and I realize how wimpy I am when I read their stories and their journals. But, God ordains the days of our lives and I was born (as you were) in this part of the timeline with all its troubles, modern conveniences, politics and culture. Sometimes I complain about the "way things are" but in reality, it must be exactly where I am supposed to be. As one of my favorite Bible passages says, maybe we re here for such a time as this (Esther 4:14) to make a difference.

To close, here is a Thanksgiving meditation by John Piper which was in our church newsletter this week:

David said, I will magnify God with Thanksgiving (Psalm 69:30-32). The word "magnify" can be used in two different senses. It can mean: make something appear greater than it is, as with a microscope or a magnifying glass. Or it can mean, make something that may seem small or insignificant appear to be as great as it really is. This is what our great telescopes help us begin to do with the magnificent universe which once upon a time spilled over from the brim of God's glory. So there are two kinds of magnifying: microscope magnifying and telescope magnifying. The one makes a small thing look bigger than it is. The other makes a big thing begin to look as big as it really is.

When David says, I will magnify God with thanksgiving, he does not mean: "I will make a small God look bigger than He is. He means: "I will make a big God begin to look as big as He really is." We are not called to be microscopes, but telescopes. Christians are not called to be con men who magnify their product out of all proportion to reality when they know the competitor's product is far superior. There is nothing and nobody superior to God. And so the calling of those who love God is to make his greatness begin to look as great as it really is. The whole duty of the Christian can be summed up in this: feel, think and act in a way that will make God look as great as He really is. Be a telescope for the world of the infinite starry wealth of the glory of God. http://www.soundofgrace.com/piper80/112380m.htm



2 comments:

susieloulou said...

Have you read "Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey"? That book was a real eye-opener for me :-)

Mrs. T. said...

Yes, I have read it. Loved it!

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...