Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Giving Thanks, Thanksgiving, My Parents



 

Updated Nov. 4, 2012

My 26 days of Thanksgiving list continues:

4. I am thankful for the gift of my parents who adopted me when I was an infant (2 days old).
(photos: 1958--I am 3, my brother is 1, 1971--my 16th birthday party, 2003--our last Christmas with my dad)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have no idea who my real parents are. My dad once told me that as get older I look more and more like my biological mother and that her last name was Valencia. I know her family was from Spain; I know nothing about my real father. Surprisingly to some, I have no interest in finding them except perhaps for medical histories. My children have a blank slate on my side of the family as to what they are prone to.

My mom and dad (John and Mary) raised me well. Although they were told they could not have children, after they adopted me, they were able to have a son who is 14 months younger than I am. We were a Southern family and I grew up in Augusta, Georgia--yes, I have been to the Masters Golf Tournament (practice rounds, 2x). My dad moved us to Orlando so he could work on the Disney project in 1970 when I was about 15 years old. They raised us to be polite, emphasized a good education, hard work and loved us very much. As I recall, we never wanted for anything even though I know money was very tight at times. Some of my favorite childhood memories:
  • Having a pony when I was about 9 years old, taking riding lessons
  • Living on a family estate with many relatives nearby
  • Having a pond with fishing, gardens and a little playground in our yard
  • Our regular family weekends to the lake with 3 other families and their kids
  • The Christmas gift of a Baldwin piano when I was 10 years old (I still have it and use it to teach piano to other children and adults)
  • Attending and enjoying school in Georgia and here in Florida
  • Friends always being welcome in our home
  • Living in family-friendly neighborhoods
  • Trips to our cousins' ranch in the country & helping with farm chores
  • A few summer trips to the beach in Florida
  • Having my 16th birthday party at Disney World on its opening night in 1971
For most of their lives, my parents were not Christians, had many marital issues and sadly, divorced when I graduated from college after 25 years of marriage.

I am very thankful that Dad became a Christian at age 81, four years before he died in 2004. There was not one day of my life when I did not think that he loved me with all of his heart. I was his "little adopted darling".  He passed away in 2005 (before I started this blog).   My mom and I did not have as good a relationship until I was in my 30s after I was married. Time heals all wounds and we enjoyed a good relationship while she was in her 80s and lived about 15 minutes from our home. She passed away in 2010.   No parents are perfect, but they are who God gives us for our good, and are worthy of our love and respect, regardless. I am glad that my children have had time with their three of their four grandparents  (my husband's father died before we were married) as part of their childhoods.

Exodus 20:12
Honor your father and mother that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

Click on the label below for more posts in this series.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...