Saturday, November 7, 2009

Giving Thanks, Thanksgiving, Good Health



My 26 days of Thanksgiving continues:

7. I am thankful for our family's good health.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You always have your health. This is a familiar saying when things are going wrong, especially when events are such that you cannot change them.  "Old" people often say this and in their wisdom, they are right.  Again, it has not always been this way in our family except for my younger son who has had no major illnesses other than chickenpox, no broken bones or other medical conditions.
  • My husband had a heart attack when our two children were 5 years and 6 months old but the heart catheterization showed nothing wrong with his heart. We think it was a clot from dehydration on a fishing trip though that was dissolved when he went into the hospital. Scary time.
  • I had two C-sections and an ectopic pregnancy while in my 30s. I have beginning arthritis in my left knee and feel it a little in my hands as well.
  • My older son developed asthma when he was two years old which was pretty serious at the time. Today (and really, after age 10) he hardly suffers from it at all. He broke a finger when he was in the 4th grade playing soccer and has had a concussion playing basketball.
Today none of us suffers with debilitating conditions or other chronic diseases. I have many friends with osteoporosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, fybromyalgia, COPD...many of whom are in our age groups. We strive to maintain our health and hopefully, improve it, by eating more nutritionally than not, exercising and getting plenty of rest. My husband lost 25 lbs. a couple of years ago and for the most part has kept it off.  I'm always trying to lose 5-10, it seems, but walk just about every day and swim or run when I can.   I never take for granted that we have been blessed in this way and pray that we all have long, healthy lives together.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...