Friday, November 6, 2009

Giving Thanks, Thanksgiving, Gift of Music


My 26 days of Thanksgiving continues:

6. I am thankful for the gift of music, that I can play the piano.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I used to think it was not unusual to play the piano or any musical instrument. When I was growing up, every girl I knew took ballet lessons or piano lessons. I have known many people in my lifetime who took many years of piano and now say they "can't play a note". I was determined that this would not happen to me since I loved it so much. Our first piano came from a barn and was a 1930s upright with corn cobs and hay in it. After 6 months of lessons my parents surprised me on my 10th birthday with a beautiful upright Baldwin piano. Whenever I have it tuned I'm told that manufacturers do not make them like this anymore--although it is an upright, it has the strings of a grand piano. It sits in my living room today and still sounds wonderful, especially since it backs up against a wall that has a fireplace on the other side of it.

I took two years of lessons as a child (ages 10-12), one year my senior year of high school (17) and one year in college (18)--four years total. By passing a proficiency test at UCF I qualified for free lessons by a master pianist. As you can see, there were lengthy gaps between lessons and I haven't had one since I was 18 years old. I have continued to play and study on my own as well as watch and listen to friends who play better than I do. I was the primary pianist at our church for 15 years and still play occasionally. Today, I teach piano students and play for weddings, funerals, receptions, etc. as a part-time business. I tell my students that I learned to play in the same way they do, learning the notes and counting rhythms. Some are only average students although I have had two whom I would consider prodigies. The greatest compliment about my playing that I have ever received from someone was that I make the piano sing. When I play in church, sometimes people cry which warms my heart since I want them to feel the music and to worship in their souls.

Why do so many people not play the piano (or some other instrument) after taking lessons as children? The difference I thought, was just consistency, but more and more, I recognize the ability to play as a gift from God to glorify Him. For this, I am very grateful.

The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.-- Johann Sebastian Bach

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...