Friday, November 13, 2009

Giving Thanks, Thanksgiving, My Brother, Family

My 26 days of Thanksgiving continues:

13. I am thankful for the gift of my brother.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I mentioned previously, I was adopted as an infant. Doctors told my parents that they were not able to have children, yet miraculously 14 months later, my brother was born. (He is my only sibling.) I have heard that this happens frequently. From early on, all through our childhood I watched over him and protected him. This is one of my favorite childhood photos--Christmas 1958. It's one of the few I have where I'm taller than him. :)

We always played well together and for many years when we were young, we were the only children in our neighborhood. I remember dressing up and playing cop and robber, cowboy and Indian, Army soldier and nurse (one of each). :) As far as I can remember I don't think we have ever fought as siblings and get along well even though we are quite different. We bonded together during my parents' difficulties in their marriage and have retained a close relationship all these years. Because of this I have always encouraged and taught my sons to love and respect each other since they will have each other most likely, long after my husband and I are gone. I want them to be best friends as well as brothers.

As a man and grandfather in his 50s he is a hard-worker, responsible, generous, and very loving. When difficulties arise in his life, he still calls to talk and pray with me. My children both love him dearly and I know, he loves them. Before my dad passed away a few years ago, he came and stayed with us for about a month total. My sons were able to spend lots of time with him then. Generally we only see him once or twice a year, around Mothers Day, Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.

He travels a lot with his fast-paced job and is in a completely different income bracket than we are. He has been very generous to our family and to others. Last Christmas he paid the bill for an elderly woman in his city who had been without electricity for quite awhile get her power turned on. He helps to support our mom with her living expenses. This summer he co-sponsored my older son on a mission trip, covering about 1/3 the cost of his trip. In addition we traveled together (he treated me) on a 4-day adventure, flying me to Houston where he lives and to St. Louis where his older son and family live for a visit. It was fun to see him interact with his two grandchildren. We had a lot of fun together and he was very sweet to me when it came time to say good-bye. (I hate good-byes.)

I'm writing about him this day because tonight he arrives here with his fiancée for the weekend for a short visit since he won't be able to come for Thanksgiving. We call and/or email every week, but it will be so good to be with him again. I am thankful for our close relationship for 50+ years and think and pray for him every single day. I'm glad the doctors were wrong and I didn't end up being an only child. I can't imagine life without him. He is a gift to me and my family and I love him very much.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm sure your brother feels the same toward you : ) he's a very lucky man to have such a loving sibling as you and surely couldn't imgine having anyone other than "Mrs. T" as his big sister!

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...