Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Giving Thanks, Thanksgiving, Our Police, Law Enforcement


My 26 days of Thanksgiving list continues:

17. I am thankful for our local police and their presence in our city and neighborhood.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've always been taught to respect and admire policemen, just like military servicemen. They are, in fact, considered to be a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. When my children were young I would always tell them that police are here to help us. Even when we would see a policeman giving a speeding ticket, I would say that they are helping that person (hopefully not me) to learn to obey the traffic laws so no one would get hurt. To show respect, I never refer to them as "cops" but as policemen/women.

Last week in our city the police were out in full force for a shooter in our downtown district. They caught him several hours after the drama began. Last night in our neighborhood a kidnapper had turned off a main street into our subdivision with police in pursuit. Helicopters, police dogs and sirens were combing the area. These types of incidents do not generally happen in our area so it was good to know how quickly the response was from our law enforcement. We have several police officers who live in our neighborhood as well which always makes me feel even more secure. I thank God that we live in a country where the police are our friends and not our enemies or a threat to our families.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...