Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Giving Thanks, Thanksgiving, Food



My 26 days of Thanksgiving continues:

10. I am thankful that we have plenty and a variety of food to eat each day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Updated 11.10.12:  

This seems a little trite to mention as something to be thankful for especially in our culture, living in the western part of the world. Recently a book at our library caught my eye which I checked out titled The Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio. I was fascinated by the differences in food choices and what an average family eats around the world. Some have so much; others so little and the types of foods vary tremendously. Of course, the Pilgrims of Jamestown and early America had little, if any to eat that first cold winter. Struggles and hardships make us really appreciate what we do have.

Even in our own sizeable city there are many who do not have enough to eat. Food pantries for Second Harvest Food Bank and others, I hear, are getting low. The Boy Scouts had their annual  food drive last week and picked up filled bags of groceries this morning.  We also just donated to The Orlando Rescue Mission for its annual Thanksgiving meal this year for the homeless. A $50 donation feeds twenty people and is so welcomed especially during the holiday season. Give generously to those who are not able to go into their home pantry for even a snack, and give with a grateful heart to the One who has given so richly to you.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...