Saturday, November 28, 2009

Christmas Holidays, Seasonal Decorations

Where does the time go? I did not post on Friday, Nov. 27. Our older son arrived home early Thursday for Thanksgiving and was starting to get sick so I have been trying to get him well before he goes back to school tomorrow. It's been wonderful having him here with us for the last three days. I always miss him when he leaves. My sons and I (and a couple of their friends) also spent part of Friday putting up our Christmas decorations and baking cookies as we have each year. The three of us enjoy the process and try to make it an "event". My husband helps in getting the decoration storage bins down and putting them away. He also likes to eat the cookies and admire the decorating when it's done. :)

This year we finished in record time. One 8 foot tree in our living room, one 3 foot tree in our family room, kitchen table and dining room arrangements, entry table, Christmas linens out and ready to use, Christmas cards (bought at year-end sales) and wrapping paper are in the guest room ready to use... I put most of the decorations in the common living areas as mentioned although our sons have small (1 foot) trees in their rooms. Last night we put all the storage bins back in the garage. Today I'll get out the Christmas dishes from the china cabint and store the others for after the holidays. My son is uploading my Christmas CDs to my iTouch for me. :)

Last year I weeded out all my decorations and donated or threw away those that we don't use anymore. That felt so good. When I start putting decorations away I need to do that with the tree ornaments. Of course, some of the childhood handmade things won't ever get tossed. :) Having less to put up took so much stress out of the trimming. We have outdoor lights but have opted to not use them again this year. A simple wreath on the door is fine with jingle bells on the handle. If I find an inexpensive small lighted tree for the front door, I may purchase that, but nothing else.

Red sprinkled here and there really brightens up the home. I always wonder why I don't put more red in our house when the decorations come down in January.
Gotta run...vegetable soup (with turkey, of course) and fresh bread baking for lunch. Stay well and warm!

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...