Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Giving Thanks, Thanksgiving, Children







My 26 days of Thanksgiving list continues:

3. I am thankful for the gift of my two children, sons now aged 20 and 15, and that I have lived long enough to see them walking with the Lord.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since I was older when I married (31), having children has been an amazing blessing to me. I was adopted as an infant so there has never been anyone in my family who looked like me. How delighted I was that my first son looked just like I did when I was a baby!

Two years after my first son was born I had an ectopic pregnancy which could have proved fatal. My obstetrician had said that we probably would not be able to have a second child due to my "advanced age" (at that time I was 37) and the fact that he had had to remove one of my fallopian tubes during the emergency surgery. I prayed a lot over this since I did not want my son to grow up as an only child. My husband is an only child and knew that life as one could be quite lonely. I on the other hand, have one brother with whom I am very close and strongly desired this for my son. As God would have it, I became pregnant and delivered our second son at age 39. Both were C-section deliveries and both were very hard, but I am so thankful to have two children that love each other and us very much.

God truly does cause all things to work together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). At the time of my ectopic pregnancy and surgery there was no one I knew who had experienced it so it was God and me alone. Since then I have counseled three younger women who have gone through this as well as many who have had miscarriages, most of whom now have children of their own. I was grateful to be a blessing in their lives during their times of grief.


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...