Thursday, August 19, 2010

Weekly Household Chores Ironing

Everyone has a chore list. Some things around the home are done daily or every other day like wiping down the bathroom and kitchen sinks or emptying the kitchen trash can or laundry; some chores are done weekly such as mopping, changing the sheets or this one that many don't do anymore--IRONING.

Ironing is one chore that I generally don't mind plus it's an easy way to make my husband happy.  :) (We won't talk about cleaning the bathrooms here. :)   ) The time goes quickly when I set a kitchen  timer for one hour, put on a favorite radio or TV program that I want to listen to  (that's the spoonful of sugar in the job) and blitz.  
Once the timer goes off, that's all the ironing for the week.  If I don't dilly dally around, I can get quite a bit done in one hour.  I set up everything before the timer goes on.  For me, that's setting up the  ironing board (always have a pretty cover on it), a red spray bottle full of water, and filling the steam iron with water.  I have a Shark steam iron that is lightweight and puts out a LOT of steam.


Then I gather everything that I might like ironed and lay it on the back of our family room sofa.  I can either face the back yard/pool or the TV or the kitchen window from my kitchen.   Every piece that's ironed is hung up right away to dry.  I use the door frame between the kitchen and the dining room.  In one hour last week I ironed all this...


That's one sleeveless blouse, two pairs of shorts, one pair of pants for me plus six short-sleeved shirts for my husband. So that's about 5 minutes per item.  Then everything is put away until next week.  

I went to this method with the timer because it puts parameters around a job that needs to be done and helps me to work faster.   I had gotten out of an ironing routine for awhile because I didn't need to iron for three years a few seasons ago.  One of my high school piano students bartered for her lessons with ironing, sewing and baking.  Thanks, Amanda, you were such a gift!  


Proverbs 31:27 
She looks well to the ways of her household, 
And does not eat the bread of idleness. 

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...