Friday, August 27, 2010

Christian Networking Business / A Job Well Done



This has been a week for repairs and maintenance for us.   [I never misspell maintenance since I lost a spelling bee in the 6th grade because I missed it!]   An expensive week (over $1,000 worth by the time my husband buys tires for his car), but necessary.  Occasionally I do business referrals in my blog here since most of us are often looking for someone dependable and trustworthy to do work when needed.

I like purchasing from Christian-owned (and run) companies. We have a good friend who is a mobile mechanic who has serviced our cars ever since he started his business in 1979.  In fact, I was his very first customer long ago.   He is trustworthy and does excellent work.    We've known each other since we were in our 20s.  He comes to your home or workplace to service your car rather than you driving it or towing it to a service center.  He was at our house this week servicing the air conditioning on my car.   It sure runs cool now!







Earlier this week I also mentioned another friend who has a   home maintenance business.   He and his partner were over this week repairing our garage drywall ceiling that fell down  a couple of weeks ago and replacing our leaky kitchen faucet  AND repairing another pipe leak under the kitchen sink.   Our home was built in the 1970s so repairs and maintenance is expected but who would have thought that the ceiling would fall down?  And on top of my husband's car!







Our accountant is also a Christian whom we have known for about 30 years or so as well.  His son and our older son played together as babies / young children and his wife and I  worked together in banking for about five years.  He and my husband work out together at the YMCA and enjoy sports programs together also.  We have trusted him with our finances and tax returns for many years.


It hurts to pay out $$ in the hundreds to anyone sometimes, but we'd much rather give it to another Christian or someone I know well who does work for us than to a stranger.  

Many people feel the same way when they hire me as a pianist for a wedding, funeral or competition or as a music teacher to  teach piano to them or their children... 






...or when they retain my husband to do architectural designs for them on their offices, churches or homes.    Clients feel more comfortable knowing someone who knows someone who knows us as in Linked In.   





My college-aged son is also discovering this in his graphic design business as well.  Some have seen his artwork displayed in our home and have  hired  him to do a drawing or graphic for them.    Others have found him via his websites or by word of mouth.










The Linked In networking site has helped more than one friend obtain employment or job referrals but word of mouth is a big plus for anyone with a business, home or otherwise.


We all strive for excellence in the things we do best.

It is good for Christians to support each other with our time and our finances whenever possible.  We try to do so as often as we can when needed when they are recommended to us or are people that we know well.


Galatians 6:10 
So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, 
and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. 


Please note:  We are doing our best to live beneath our means in order to keep money set aside for unexpected expenses like those described above.  We pay for them with credit cards because we get good rewards with our card but the balance is paid off each month.  Sometimes a "savings" account can become your emergency fund as ours has many times i.e. trees falling, storm damage, unexpected medical bills, car repairs, etc. I used to worry about this but now, am just thankful for God's provision and  that  the money has been there when we need it.   We save up, then spend down as life happens.   We have had the blessing so far of not needing to take on debt to pay for daily life happenings for many years...and I hope you are trying to do the same no matter how old or young you are.


Proverbs 6:6-8 
Go to the ant, O sluggard, observe her ways and be wise, 

Which, having no chief,  officer or ruler, 

Prepares her food in the summer 
And gathers her provision in the harvest. 



2 comments:

Jessica said...

Love this. I also try, if I have to hire someone, to hire someone I know or is recommended for being an honest Christian. My wedding 5 years ago was like that. The photog was someone I knew, my florist was a friend of a friend, the musicians were all people important to us... if I have to spend $$ I want to know who's getting it!
Your son's artwork is impressive; I especially like the second piece you have posted.

Jessica said...

Thought I'd clarify I don't love the part where you had a disaster... but I love your response!

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...