Sunday, August 8, 2010

Advance Make-Ahead Cooking / Baking ahead for the weekend

On Saturday morning, I needed to make a cake for a youth family cookout on Saturday night, so since the oven was going to be on anyway, I took a couple of hours and prepared a few things that would be eaten over the next few days.  We had a fairly busy Saturday and Sunday, so here's what I made with the oven on for about one hour, 15 minutes.

One dozen blueberry muffins--started with a Betty Crocker Wild Blueberry mix  and added fresh blueberries.  Great for breakfast and/or snacks.

Blueberry Muffins


Pizza--homemade bread dough flattened/spread on a baking sheet, Ragu sauce, shredded cheese mozzarella cheese sticks (almost panicked here since I was out of cheese!) + sliced onions, fresh mushrooms, green &  yellow peppers and bacon.  This was lunch on Saturday fresh out of the oven and reheated for lunch Sunday after church.  

Homemade Pizza

Homemade Pizza


Mixed Green Salad. Also made  a large green salad with lots of different veggies to go with the pizza.

Batch of Homemade Fruit Smoothies. For snacks and breakfast for me on Sunday rushing out the door to a music practice before church.

Strawberry Bundt Cake.  Recipe from  THIS SITE.  I made a bundt cake  instead of a layer cake, substituted strawberry cake mix, deleted the gelatin and pureed fresh strawberries to make it more moist.  I also had strawberry frosting but I used less than half of the can because it was a bundt cake (trying to cut out a bit of sugar).   Actually, I wanted to make homemade whipped cream to top it but I was out of heavy cream.   Topped with fresh sliced strawberries, served on a red and white plate.  (Presentation is half the taste, you know.)  :)  I took this to a party Saturday evening; leftovers came home.  


Homemade Strawberry Bundt Cake

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...