Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving / Topics of Conversation Around the Dinner Table





Sometimes large and extended family gatherings can be strained.  Eating the traditional Thanksgiving  meal together is always an "icebreaker" but here are some new ideas for you to  keep everyone involved in the conversation.

We are enrolled at a Christian school for our homeschool "umbrella".  One of the founders had this list of ideas for conversation in our weekly newsletter which I wanted to pass on to you.   Not just for Thanksgiving, but anytime you want to get the conversation rolling...

Thanksgiving Ideas 


by Linda Werner 
The week of Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of refreshment for me. The week is simple, the family time intimate, and the opportunity to think and meditate on all of God's provisions is sweet. 
This Thanksgiving week use these simple ideas to begin some conversation around your family dining table. 
1. Express thanks to someone in the room for something they did for you. 
2. I'm thankful for... Finish the sentence. 
3. If you could have the attention of the whole world for 30 seconds, what would you say? 
4. One thing I'm thankful for about our country. 
5. What is the key to success in life? Why do you say that? 
6. Tell about a lesson you learned the hard way. 
7. What are some ways life is different now than in the old days? 
8. Tell a story of a decision your ancestors made that changed the direction of their lives-and yours. 
9. Tell about a lesson you learned by watching someone else. 
10. A person I would like to honor publicly is... 
11. Time and money aside, I would rather be... 
12. Tell about an experience that changed you for the better. 
13. Tell a story about something that started out bad but had a happy ending. 
14. My first hero was _________. 
15. Tell about a time when you showed courage. 
16. Describe a teacher who had a significant influence on your life. 
17. Tell about an invention that made your life easier. 
18. The most admired public figure when I was growing up was ____." Tell a story. 
19. A famous person I've met is _____. 
20. I got in so much trouble... Tell the story! 
Have fun sharing together. These will be sweet memories that your children will not forget. 
Happy Thanksgiving 

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...