Saturday, November 6, 2010

Giving Thanks 2010 Revisiting 2009 and Continuing / Thanksgiving

6. I am thankful that God has given me the gift of music, that I can play the piano and share that gift as well as instill it in others.


What I wrote in 2009 is at THIS LINK.


To add to that, I enjoy teaching the piano to others, adults and children. I love making music with other musicians and vocalists. I love listening to good music, especially live music of a variety of types.  

An old  friend who directs Dickens by Candlelight offered me a barter for tickets to the performance.  This year I'll be playing Christmas carols 4x before the show while guests are drinking wassail in exchange for 4 tickets,  My husband and I will be able to attend the show and take two guests with us.  After agreeing to this, I got to thinking where else I could play over the holidays, not just for barter, but for community outreach.  


Our church has been listening to and discussing the Tim Keller DVD series The Gospel in Life: Grace Changes Everything.  One of the lessons was on this very topic--Community Outreach.  I volunteered at one of the large local hospitals near us to play Christmas carols in their lobby.  I had noticed a grand piano setting there a few months ago when visiting a patient.  They were so glad to have me to do so.   I went through the application process last week (they mistakenly required me to take a TB test and a drug test, but you wouldn't have to do that if you volunteer now that we've got that all cleared up.)  I now have my official badge to work as a volunteer.  I'll be playing on each of the four Wednesdays  in December (beginning Dec. 1)  before Christmas from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.  Stop by and say hello if you're there visiting anyone or have an appointment in the physicians' building next door to the hospital.







Gifts are made to be shared.  Sometimes it's contagious.   Someone gives to you, you give to someone else and as Sandi Patti sings,  the gift goes on...  Give the gift of yourselves to someone in your area of contact this Christmas.  :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...