Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Our Favorite Thanksgiving Menu and A Few Recipes

Everyone has their favorite foods for Thanksgiving.  Always turkey though.   When you get married, your spouse has their favorites.  For example, growing up, my husband's family always served mashed potatoes; my family always had sweet potatoes.  I change the mashed ones up by making them GARLIC mashed potatoes. :)   Your  kids will learn to have their favorites, too.  Ours love those little  baby corn spears; one craves the green bean casserole, the other prefers fresh green beans.   I occasionally introduce a new item to the menu which is OK with everyone as long as the basics are there.    I can't remember what I deleted one year and it was like a mutiny, so I pretty much stick to the menu.

Usually our meal is just our family and the grandparents of which there is now just one, although we often invite others each year.  Some years my brother comes for Thanksgiving but since he and his wife were just here a few weeks ago, they won't be here this year.  We love for friends stop by for dessert or to visit later in the day or we take in a movie or play games.   Looks like this year may be just the four of us which is always a pleasure.   [We are having company for dinner tonight, though. :)]  Our older college age son will be staying here for a few days which is a gift in itself.  :)  He and our younger son are putting up and decorating our two Christmas trees on Friday (another family tradition).

Here is our typical Thanksgiving menu that keeps getting added to over the years, always served on our wedding china with crystal ever since our kids were old enough to hold a glass.


Thanksgiving Menu

Celery with Dips
Baby Corn Spears
Black Olives

Cranberry Juice / Ginger Ale 

Roasted Turkey  
Gravy made from Turkey Gimlets 
Oyster Dressing 
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Fresh Green Beans
Fruit Salad
Hot Rolls w. Butter

Pumpkin Pie
Key Lime Pie
Coffee
Hot Tea


This little couple is always part of our Thanksgiving table as well. :)




Here are a few of my recipes but I'm sure you have ones you like to prepare each year as well:

Oyster Dressing

This is my own recipe.  Gather 2 boxes of Stovetop Stuffing + bread crumbs from whatever bread is in the house + butter and/or stock + water chestnuts, fresh cranberries AND 1/2 can of whole cranberry sauce, pecans (all chopped) + smoked oysters (pureed into a paste).  Mix all together, making sure dressing is moist with added butter, water and/or stock.  I usually make this a day ahead and put in the oven Thanksgiving morning.  My kids are not too keen on the oysters but they get the mashed potatoes.  This is my husband's favorite holiday side dish.  

Gravy

I rarely make gravy except for holiday meals so I'm not very good at making it from scratch (believe me, I've tried and it's always been a disaster).   I fudge a bit and use one container of  bottled or canned gravy.  I add  the cooked gimlets were were removed from the turkey and boiled separately.  All the meat is removed and chopped, plus one sliced hard-boiled egg.  Heat and serve.  Tastes like homemade.

Raspberry Sweet Potatoes

These are not on the regular menu because of all the other starches, but I usually make these another day to eat with our leftovers.   This recipe is from an old Southern Living magazine and is one of my faves.
    Boil several sweet potatoes then peel and slice lengthwise. Layer in a greased baking dish.  On top of the sweet potatoes, rub butter and brown sugar, then top with thawed (frozen) raspberries. Bake about 35 minutes. Delicious!

Pumpkin Pie

Just use the recipe on the can of Libby's pumpkin.  It's perfect every time.  This year I bought a Publix pie which tastes SO similar to what I make.  In the next week or two I'm sure I'll bake at least two pumpkin pies for company and for  us.


I prepare most of this the day before, including the turkey and just heat in the oven for 2-3 hours at 250 degrees.    Everything is ready at one time and very little mess to clean up Thanksgiving Day.


You're wondering about the turkey...yes, I bake it the day before using the large turkey size baking bags by Reynolds.  It's then cooled and sliced (my husband's job), with the meat layered in large casserole dishes.  The secret is to save ALL the drippings in a large bowl or jar.  The next day, put the congealed drippings on top of the turkey and cover.  Reheating with the drippings on top makes it taste like it  was just cooked.   I've been doing this for years and even for holiday parties with great results. People generally compliment how moist the turkey is.   It saves you from all the mess in the kitchen just before a special meal and lets  you enjoy the day with everyone else. :)

Have fun cooking!  I really enjoy preparing this special meal for our family.


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...