Thursday, July 29, 2010

Summer Swimming Pool Exercise DeltaBells




On Monday of this week I began a new exercise routine.  I have been going to the YMCA with my younger son 2x a week doing cardio (treadmill, elliptical or bike) and weights.  Over the summer I've been a slug and have not been walking every morning like I was previously and a little extra weight is beginning to creep up.  When you're short like I am (5'3") every ounce is noticeable.  My husband lost 20+ lbs (took him about 6 months) and I don't want him to have a frumpy wife, so I've amped up my get-back-in-shape routine.  


In the Florida heat--it's been in the mid-90s just about every day over the past week or two--the only place to exercise is inside in the air conditioning or outside in the pool.   I have a few runner friends who are doing 5Ks in this weather but I want to get more in shape, not have a heat stroke.   I am so thankful that we have a swimming pool. It is screened in with large oak trees shading a bit of it so the water stays somewhat cool.  The summer months of July through mid-September are ideal for swimming in it. The rest of the year we just look at it.  It came with the house, so what can I say? When our sons were younger, we were all in it just about every day from mid-April through the end of September.   Someone told us that when they reached high school that would change and they were right.  They do jump in every now and then though.


A dear friend who moved away to England and now The Netherlands gave me these water weights before she left.   Thanks, Britt.  To be honest, I have hardly used them and I've had them for a few years just sitting with all the pool toys.   They are called DeltaBells and can be purchased online at THIS LINK as well as at Amazon.  I would imagine that you can search other places as well.  Not cheap, but boy, do they do the job.




If you have a pool or have access to one, swimming or exercising is one of the least likely to injure you types of exercise.  In the water I can extend my arms to the front or the sides holding these water weights and kick my legs.  I can stand still in the shallow end and use them as I would any weights at the YMCA.  I can hold them while I swim, pulling more water (and with more resistance).  If I get tired, I can hold them close in front of my chest either horizontally or vertically and just float and rest.  They support my weight which is good to know if I get in trouble in the water.  I don't advise swimming alone but if I'm going to exercise I have to do it in the mornings and no one else is up yet--except my husband and he's already gone to work.  

I turn on my portable radio and exercise for about 30 minutes while listening to either R.C. Sproul (8 a.m.) or Chuck Swindoll (8:30 a.m.), whichever time I get my suit on.  So far this week  it's been 4 for 4 and I've done it every day, usually after doing a little cleaning or yard work.  I hope to continue this until the pool is too cool to swim in this fall.  By then I'll be ready to walk the neighborhood in the mornings again with my friend Virginia.

The photo above is as close as you're going to get to seeing me in a swimsuit. :)  Maybe in a month or so... :)


Proverbs 31:17 
She girds herself with strength 
And makes her arms strong. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hooray on the swimming!
I've come to love swimming this summer, too!

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...