Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Needy People

Needy people are all around us. Every time I read the newspaper there is an article about people in our country and all over the world in need, some in true poverty. We have donated at least 3x this year to food drives, plus United Way, the Rescue Mission, etc. The annual Boy Scout food drive is coming up in early November. Sometimes we hear of the needs for "people" and think of them as a non-entity not as individuals.

About 10 days ago a young man came to our front door and wanted to trim our palm tree for $25 that afternoon. It was getting a lot of brown leaves on it so I jumped at the offer. He didn't come back that day which was disappointing and I really forgot about him the rest of the week. Monday night he returned at 6:30 p.m. when my husband was home from work and asked about doing the job. 2 1/2 hours later it was completed and cleaned up, excellently. During the course of his work my husband went out to chat with him. This young man and his wife and 3-year-old daughter had been driving around looking for some work so he could earn money for his family. There were two older children at home with their grandparents while they did so. Their story was really heartbreaking. We paid them double and I gave them a large bag of groceries as well for which they were really grateful.

The "needy people" became someone with eyes and hands and feet that night. I was reminded of this during my Bible reading this morning:

1Timothy 6:18-19
Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...