Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day! I Corinthians 13 for Wives and Mothers



Happy Valentines Day!


A time to be thankful for those whom we love and for those that love us.


I Corinthians 13: 1-8
 1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
 4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
 5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
 6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
 8Love never fails;


=======================================

I Corinthians 13 for Wives (by Jim Fowler)
  • If I exercise my freedom to speak my mind and say what I think, but do not have love, I am just a squeaky wheel or a dripping faucet.
  • If I know the mysteries of how to please a man and the guidelines of a Proverbs 31 wife, but do not have love, I am just going through the motions.
  • If I submit myself to my husband in total availability, and do not give myself in love, I am but a pitiful marital martyr.
  • A wife's love is patient with all her husband's "big ideas," adaptable to his preferences, and supportive of his leadership.
  • The love of a Christian wife does not nag; does not keep a running list of all the times he has hurt her feelings.
  • It is not provoked when he does not pick up his own things, does not come home when he says he will, or wants to do something at inconvenient times.
  • In love for her husband a wife will keep herself attractive, join him in his recreational pursuits, and express her admiration for him often.
  • A wife's love bears all the insensitivities, believes that God will mold the marriage and the man as He desires, hopes that God will be glorified in what they do, and endures the inevitable marital conflicts (OK - fights!).
  • All the feminist propaganda will disappear.
  • All the latest fashion styles will soon be old-fashioned.
  • All the material things will break down and deteriorate.
  • Now abides faith in God's sufficiency,
  • Hope for a marriage that glorifies God,
  • But the greatest of these is Love that puts the other first so as to enjoy God's intent for marriage.


I Corinthians 13 for Mothers (by Jim Fowler)
  • If I live in a house of spotless beauty with everything in its place, but have not love, am a housekeeper, not a homemaker.
  • If I have time for waxing, polishing, and decorative achievements, but have not love, my children learn cleanliness, not godliness.
  • If I scream at my children for every infraction, and fault them for every mess they make, but have not love, my children become people-pleasers, not obedient children.
  • Love leaves the dust in search of a child’s laugh.
  • Love smiles at the tiny fingerprints on a newly cleaned window.
  • Love wipes away the tears before it wipes up the spilled milk.
  • Love picks up the child before it picks up the toys.
  • Love accepts the fact that I am the ever-present “mommy,” the taxi-driver to every childhood event, the counsellor when my children fail or are hurt.
  • Love crawls with the baby, walks with the toddler, and runs with the child, then stands aside to let the youth walk into adulthood.
  • Before I became a mother I took glory in my house of perfection.
  • Now I glory in God’s perfection of my child.
  • All the projections I had for my house and my children have faded away into insignificance,
  • And what remain are the memories of my kids.
  • Now there abides in my home scratches on most of the furniture, dishes with missing place settings, and bedroom walls full of stickers, posters and markings,
  • But the greatest of all is the Love that permeates my relationships with my children.





No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...