Thursday, November 1, 2012

Homeschool Mom Goes Back to Work

It feels like this should be a headline in the newspaper.   It's been 23+ years since I have worked for anyone other than myself.  My husband really wanted me to get a part-time job now that our younger son has graduated high school and is in college.  I was opposed to this idea at first but to please my husband primarily, I decided to just go step by step and look  for a job that would be suited to me. I would not have imagined that I would actually get a good one in such a short time!

My professional life before children was in the banking industry but I really did not want to go back into the corporate world. I teach piano from home and have an Ebay store as you know [more details in  the two tabs above],  and am involved in the worship and Titus 2 Moms ministries at church.   I didn't want something that would take every single spare minute that I had.  I prayed and prayed and asked several of my close friends to do the same.  I mentioned that I was looking for a job to 3-4 of my friends who are in business  in case they had any openings.  In June I prepared  my resumé  and posted it to LinkedIn and sent it to five places--three Christian schools, an accountant and a Bible software company.

About 3 weeks ago the software company contacted me about a job.  I had two interviews for two  different positions that were being created within the company.  I was thrilled to hear that they wanted me  because of my character in addition to my skills and background.  They had been talking about me for a few months (while we were all praying, the Lord was already working).   I started two weeks ago as an accounting assistant and my first assignment was to pick out a new MacBook Pro [as He would have it, it was the day after my birthday... what a sweet birthday gift!] .

In fact, on my birthday my family got Chinese from our favorite takeout. This was in my fortune cookie.  :)



Another perk:  I was given  the latest version of the Bible software...another GREAT gift.   Wow!  I have used this Bible software for many years and so, was very familiar with it already.  In fact, my husband bought me the software for my birthday in 1999!   :)

God has blessed me abundantly beyond what I asked or thought He would do. Almost forgot to mention that the hours are flexible (20 per week, more if I want, although I prefer to keep it around 20 hours) and  I can work from HOME! This is what I SO wanted to be able to do but did not expect it to come to pass.   And the pay is great--far more than the average for working part-time.   I like the people I've met so far in the company very much, including my immediate boss which is a very good thing,; the work is detailed yet interesting with a godly purpose--behind-the-scenes in a company that produces a product designed to help laymen and scholars study, learn and teach accurately from the Bible.

Working From Home

The week after I got this job I was offered another job at one of the Christian schools where I had sent my resumé. What an incredible turn of events.  I was approached to be a pianist there about 4 years ago but could not accept the job since I was still homeschooling.

If you are headed back into the working world after a long hiatus like me, don't give up. Pray, pray, pray and just take that next step...  you may be surprised at what lies ahead.   :)

P.S.  Be sure to brush up on your organizational and time management skills while at home.  And start streamlining your life to omit things that are really not important.   When there is a time crunch, the less stress already removed, the better.

For all of you who prayed for me, thank you so very much.

Click HERE to see other posts about Home Businesses.


Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen. 

3 comments:

Lizzie Julin said...

Your story, Tonya, is an example of moving forward, just as I've been contemplating in my life. You have encouraged me. Thank you for telling your story. Good success to you; actually you already are!

Mrs. T. said...

Thanks so much, Liz. Your life has always encouraged me. :)

Carol Latham said...

I am so proud of you my dear friend. Praise God in all his wonder and glory. You have always been a blessing to me and you will always be to so may lives that you touch.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...