Thursday, November 8, 2012

Inexpensive Birthday Christmas Gifts

I love giving and receiving fresh flowers, especially those that grow before my eyes.   This is the time of year when boxed amaryllis and narcissus plants start showing up in Target, Wal-Mart, Lowe's and Home Depot.  They are very reasonably priced and make lovely gifts.


Narcissus 

Narcissus

Amaryllis



After they bloom and die down, you can plant them in the yard.  Be sure to NOT cut the green stems even though they start to look ugly.  The plant needs the stem for nourishment in its dormant stage.  If you have more than one plant of the same type in the yard, the next time they bloom you will have a few more than that.  :)

Check for sales even after the holidays if you want to get some just for your garden. I love watching these flowers bloom in the house. Click HERE for a previous post about these flowers.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Good morning Mrs. T!

Oh, I'm so glad that you chose to write about this today...I had forgotten that I had some bulbs in the cellar from last year...I'm going to plant them in a pot today...what a cheery thing to do on the first day of snow for us here in Maine!

Also, thanks for the tip about the microfiber cloths and produce. We eat a huge amount of fresh veggies and fruit here...so I buy in bulk. What a great idea for keeping it fresher longer!

Have a blessed day,
Laura

Mrs. T. said...

You're welcome. Thank you for stopping by my blog. :)

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...