Friday, November 23, 2012

How to Make Almost Homemade Gravy

I make gravy for the turkey every year generally just for holiday meals like the one we had yesterday for Thanksgiving.   My husband absolutely loves it and I have to admit, it does taste pretty good.  My mother used to make it totally from scratch using just pan drippings and flour with seasonings.  I have never mastered that ... always turns out lumpy and unflavorful for me.   Here is my doctored up recipe which uses this as a base...


To this, I add:
  • the fresh giblets (insides of the turkey that come in the little bags), boiled and chopped 
  • one sliced, hard-boiled egg
  • 2 tbsp. pan drippings from the turkey


I boil the giblets and the egg (separately) the day before and let them cool, then chop them all up and keep in the frig until needed.  Be sure to save a bit of the drippings (more on those tomorrow) to add to this gravy.

Stir together with the jar of gravy and heat slowly on the stove for about 20 minutes on a low setting.  Pour into a gravy boat to serve.  This gravy has texture and  is delicious.

How to Make Homemade Gravy



No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...