Friday, January 13, 2012

Project 52 / Week 2 / Made With Love Handmade Gifts from the Heart

Continuing on with Week 2 of Project 52--this week's theme was "Made With Love" [I am #128 if you visit the site].    When I was a taking down the Christmas decorations I found many items in this category.  I'm sure you did, too!  I was amazed at how many decorations carried me back to a specific person, time or season of life.  I pack these treasures carefully and lovingly put them away this week.


I found this cross-stitch pattern in a magazine.  I used to do this when I was pregnant and when my children were quite young.  These are two of the few things I actually kept for our house!  Most have been given away.



Still in my cross-stitch phase... I made ornaments for our sons each year for several years.  What makes this one and its mate extra special is that the backing is made from parts of flannel feet pajamas that they both wore when they were babies.   I can still picture them wearing them.   :)  They get a new ornament each year through age 18, so that when they are out on their own they have "starter" set of memory ornaments for their own Christmas trees.  Many families have this tradition.



These two monkeys are very special.  My grandmother had them made for our two sons when they were very young while she was still living.  They never knew her since she lived so far away and did not travel in her 90s when they were born.   I still remember my older son sitting inside the large box with the monkey when it arrived for him!


My sister-in-law quilted this for us one year.   
She sews beautifully and now does gorgeous machine embroidery.


When money was tighter, the kids and I made these ornaments from felt, glitter and favorite photos...



My older son is a graphic designer and made this 3D glass project as a birthday gift for me.  I love that it is so unique but most of all because he made it just for me.  :)


I had been after my husband to draw a picture of our home, but he was too busy.   What a surprise one birthday when my son surprised me with this drawing that he had done.  :) My neighbor and 2 piano student parents saw it and hired him to do theirs, too! 


My husband drew this for me when we first dated-- 5 years before we married!  LONG story...  :)


Kindergarten Christmas angel from a paper plate...


 I sewed new napkins for Christmas gifts one year and kept two sets + matching tablecloths for us.


A dear friend made this for me when my first son was born.  When our younger son was born, I added the second baby in the cross-stitch.  


I did the same thing with the 4th stocking.  A friend had made the first three when my older son was born.  I went to JoAnn's and found the SAME fabric to do a 4th stocking.  The saleswoman could not believe they had it!


One of my last cross-stitch pieces for our home... something I hope we always remember...  :)


project 52 p52 weekly photo challenge my3boybarians.com

5 comments:

Susan said...

Wow...what amazing things. You are very very talented!!

Anonymous said...

Lots of beautiful handmade items here. I used to cross stitch when I was a young girl and I love the drawing of your house! I also love the title of your blog. Our pastor just preached a series on the book of Titus not too long ago.

Virginia Knowles said...

Lots of lovely stuff you have here, my friend! Thanks for clueing me in to P52. My post is at http://comewearymoms.blogspot.com/2012/01/made-with-love-project-52-week-2-and.html

Briggitt said...

lots of amazing gifts : that is love !

Donna said...

Your cross stitches are beautiful. I especially love the manger.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...